INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Easy  (Read 79288 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Too Easy
« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:01 am »

Time Remaining in all of the tracks that have not yet been played in Playing Now.  (Currently we only have that for the track playing.)

This would allow functionality similar to a CD player, where one can cycle between Elapsed Time in Track, Remaining Time in Track, and Remaining Time in Album.

Next build:
NEW: In the player display, you can use [Total Time Remaining] to show the remaining time of the entire playlist.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:31 am »

Are there [Total Elapsed Time] and [Total Remaining Time] variables too?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2015, 11:04:48 am »

Are there [Total Elapsed Time] and [Total Remaining Time] variables too?

There's Remaining Time, Total Time, and now Total Time Remaining.

« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:09 am »

There's Remaining Time, Total Time, and now Total Time Remaining.
Right, but that means we only have:

Track Time:
  [Elapsed Time]
  [Remaining Time]
  [Total Time]

Playlist Time:
  [Total Time Remaining]

I would also add that the name for this new variable is extremely confusing, since there are already separate "Remaining Time" and "Total Time" variables.

Calling this "Playlist Remaining Time" would make things a lot more clear.
You may even want to add a "Track" prefix to the original variables, which would also group them together in the list.

With only one of the three variables updated to support the total playlist duration, rather than per-track duration, we cannot construct a display which acts like a real CD player.

If we're 2 minutes into track #4 of an album, a real CD player would display something like:

[Playlist Elapsed Time] ([Playlist Remaining Time])
17:58 (-40:42)

The current options only allow for:
[Elapsed Time] ([Total Time Remaining])
02:00 (-40:42)

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2015, 11:45:12 am »

When in theaterview/videos/info Or list if i click on Actor, Director, Genre, the tag expands, but it no longer allows us to jump to the tag we chose.
This i assume should be VERY Easy, due to the fact you had it working the week i bought version 20.

Thank You.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2015, 12:47:52 pm »

Calling this "Playlist Remaining Time" would make things a lot more clear.

I agree.

Next build:
NEW: In the player display, you can use [Playlist Time Remaining] to show the remaining time of the entire playlist.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2015, 06:07:16 pm »

Have "Import Paths" Library dependant.  When I change libraries to import "New Media" prior to archiving, I always have to change to Import path from the last path used (usually from a different library like, "Archived Media").  If the Default import path for each library could be set and saved indiviually, I'd be happy.

+1

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2015, 06:11:15 pm »

I agree.

Next build:
NEW: In the player display, you can use [Playlist Time Remaining] to show the remaining time of the entire playlist.
Very sweet, thanks !

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:26 am »

When in theaterview/videos/info Or list if i click on Actor, Director, Genre, the tag expands, but it no longer allows us to jump to the tag we chose.
This i assume should be VERY Easy, due to the fact you had it working the week i bought version 20.

Thank You.

In an upcoming build:
9. Changed: Pressing Enter on an expanded Theater View File Info field will search for files that match this field.

This means that you may need to press twice, once to expand, and once to search. But it will give you the ability to search over list fields again.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

HTPC4ME

« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2015, 10:29:15 am »

Thank You Hendrik!

GrandeBoma

• Recent member
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2015, 11:17:42 am »

OK here is my suggestions

Problem: currently, if I select wdm audio driver as default in windows, netflix or powerdvd will decode compressed formats and stream the pcm data to jriver. I believe this depends on the wdm audio driver displaying "no compressed data formats supported" in the details

Potential workaround: I was wondering if it was possible to tweak the wdm audio driver so the source program bitstream the track to wdm driver directly. This way, the dolby/dts track would be passed "as is", thereby allowing jriver to decode the stream and then do the rest of the processing

Benefits of this workaround for the users: this would prevent windows from resampling or changing bit depth of the soundtrack (this happens when streamed contents and the wdm driver do not match in sampling frequency or bit depth). Furthermore, it would avoid the potentially unwanted upmix of stereo content to multichannel, which is currently happening in apps like netflix when source content is stereo and speaker count is multichannel, thereby resulting in pro logic II being applied by default before the audio data is sent to jriver. Perhaps the users do not want to change channel count and want stereo to remain as is, or maybe they prefer jriver to handle the upmix with jrss?

Castius

« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2015, 12:55:48 pm »

Shift click play button to resume from bookmark.
Or some other method of resume from bookmark.
So we can resume from restart of MC or long podcasts we want to resume

Castius

« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2015, 12:57:11 pm »

Display bookmarks/chapters on timeline

Castius

« Reply #263 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:52 pm »

add custom search field to cover art "get from internet" to match "get Movie and TV Info"

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #264 on: January 23, 2015, 01:57:18 pm »

Allow the ability to rate in Theater view.  At least one default view shows the rating, but you cannot add a rating or edit it.

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #265 on: January 23, 2015, 02:03:20 pm »

Allow the ability to rate in Theater view.  At least one default view shows the rating, but you cannot add a rating or edit it.

Larry

You can rate in theater view. Select the stars and then click or press right to increment +1 star.

« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2015, 02:18:15 pm »

I agree.

Next build:
Well to repeat myself, [Playlist Time Remaining] is not very useful without also having [Playlist Total Time] and [Playlist Elapsed Time]

Normally you would display: Elapsed Time/Remaining Time or Remaining Time/Total Time
Having one without the others is not much use.

And I still think that using [Playlist Time Reimaining] adds some confusion when the regular variable is [Remaining Time]
Why switch things around?

Display bookmarks/chapters on timeline
Yes, this is something I've been hoping to see for some time. Just a 1px vertical bar wherever there is a new bookmark/chapter would be sufficient.

Potential workaround: I was wondering if it was possible to tweak the wdm audio driver so the source program bitstream the track to wdm driver directly. This way, the dolby/dts track would be passed "as is", thereby allowing jriver to decode the stream and then do the rest of the processing
This would be nice, though I don't think it belongs in the "too easy" topic which is for simple changes.

Shift click play button to resume from bookmark.
Or some other method of resume from bookmark.
So we can resume from restart of MC or long podcasts we want to resume
Podcasts should already resume their position from where you left off.
The issue is that Media Center only treats files brought in via the Podcasts section of the program as podcasts by default, and you have to manually tag anything else.

If you download a podcast as a one-off and double-click it in Explorer to open the file in Media Center, it's not going to resume if you stop and play the file again.

In my opinion, the easier solution here would be to treat any audio file longer than a user defined length - say 20 minutes by default - as a podcast and automatically resume playback with those files when they are opened via Explorer.
I don't want it affecting anything that is already in my library, or new imports, only when opening a file via Explorer.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:31 pm »

And I still think that using [Playlist Time Reimaining] adds some confusion when the regular variable is [Remaining Time]
Why switch things around?

Next build:
Changed: Switched [Playlist Time Remaining] to [Playlist Remaining Time] for the playing display area.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #268 on: January 23, 2015, 06:01:01 pm »

Now that JRiver has implemented Master License, Ive found a few more people interested in jriver, However one of them has brought up a good concern....and after some thinking it concerns our personal library as well.

Could we please have an option on the JRiver Server Side (Tools/Options/Media Network/Client Options) to be able to disable client deletions from a Server Library?

Looking at your wiki it states when Main libraries are connected to clients, the clients have the ability to delete the Servers files.
Could you please incorporate a tick option for each of these: (bold below in quotes is a suggestion for the verbiage)
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

What Is Synced

File value changes (artists, keywords, playback statistics, etc.)
    File deletes  - Disable clients from deleting Server files
    File adds (server adds always go to clients, client adds go to server if the server can reach the file) - Disable clients from adding to server
    Playlist additions
    Playlist changes
    Television recording schedule

I personally fear now that my kids are getting older and our whole library is mapped on the server the probability and ease of wiping out our whole library from a simple delete action could be catastrophic.

A simple setting to be able to allow clients to view our libraries safely but not wipe out the Main/family library completely would eliminate a lot of potential problems. if this could be implemented at least one could have a sense of ease knowing jriver does auto library backups and the worst that could ever happen would be that the tags got messed up, and one could look back in there backups to fix those tags.

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. (feel free to move) for someone who doesn't program, i figured this would be an easy fix... add the bolded (or whatever verbage) sentences above with tick boxes somewhere on the server side's options, and then do what ever coding is needed to refuse deletions from All clients.

Thanks

kstuart

« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2015, 07:01:09 pm »

Well to repeat myself, [Playlist Time Remaining] is not very useful without also having [Playlist Total Time] and [Playlist Elapsed Time]
Having all three would be cool, but to contradict you - the one that is useful IS "Playlist Remaining Time".

Why ?

At 7:30pm the Big Game starts, or you have a dentist appointment, etc.

So, you want to know whether there is enough time to hear the rest of the album or not.

The fact that you have already listened to 32:38 of the album, or 24:31 of it, doesn't mean much.

The Total Time of a playlist might be useful - but not while playing, rather when you have created it, and want to know how long it will take to hear the whole thing.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »

Ability to rename "Shows" without losing the ability to control it with the remote.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #271 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:02 pm »

Could we please have an option on the JRiver Server Side (Tools/Options/Media Network/Client Options) to be able to disable client deletions from a Server Library?
Deletions only happen if the server has authentication set.  If you don't use authentication, nobody can delete or change anything.

PeterGregg

• Recent member
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2015, 09:40:21 pm »

First idea:

In the area at the top of the MC window where you have the tabs. My set-up has 3 windows, LOCATION, FILE TYPE and GENRE.

On the same line where those words are located (LOCATION, FILE TYPE and GENRE) add a radio button and the word INCLUDE, and add a radio button and the word EXCLUDE.

When you click on the radio button for INCLUDE, anything you select is included (just like the holding of the CTRL and clicking) but you also have the opposite with the EXCLUDE radio button and choice selections.

So you can control what to include and exclude from those window panels.

Peter

PeterGregg

• Recent member
« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2015, 09:53:37 pm »

Second idea:

Because the program has grown beyond anyone's expectations, things are scattered all over the place. I am assuming there is no way to clean that up because it would probably be a major undertaking. An example would be - to convert files from one form to another, you should be able to select files > right click > convert to. But the Convert command will take a newbie a while to find in the tools > advanced convert files. That took a while to find.

So redo the entire program with a intuitive workflow lol.

Okay, that is not possible.

Then buy a nice camera and screen recorder and start making an on growing library of video lessons of task after task. So many simple tasks have grown to huge abilities at the cost of doing the simple task. What you want is input on a list of "How To" suggestions to record. Then the people can go see how to do something. I find when someone talks in a video instruction there are LOTS of hints that get mentioned that will never get written in an instructions to read format.

Not the sexiest suggestion, but there is a mountain that a new user faces when first looking at the program. Frustration leads to anger, and the newbie questions must be getting old to the super advanced users. Now you have a schism. The brainiacs against humble or aggressive newbies. That should be addressed.

Peter

HTPC4ME

« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2015, 11:59:37 pm »

Deletions only happen if the server has authentication set.  If you don't use authentication, nobody can delete or change anything.

correct, this also disables tagging possibilities (Ratings, Genres, Playlists).

There are users who should be able to Rate, and add items to Playlists, Genres... is there no way possible for you guys to do some quick editing, and allow for certain devices/users to have some control/Editing on the fly? but turn off authentication for others? Maybe via a device id of some sort? or mac address?

If this device/mac address then they are allowed Everything but deletions
If this device/mac address they are only allowed to view/listen to.
Thanks

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2015, 10:52:41 am »

I run the full MC minimized at all times.  I use Media Portal for video.

I'd prefer when initiating a scan from JRemote that MC would stay minimized if minimized.  If running MC in server mode, the full GUI MC shouldn't appear on scan initiated from JRemote.

Denti

« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »

Just curious: are half star ratings rejected? Wouldn't that be easy to do?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2015, 01:35:18 pm »

Just a suggestion.
If one is to start threads like this... wouldn't it behoove the developers/Admins to at least comment on Too Easy posts/Requests? By doing so the number of repeats, and customers sitting on the edges of their seats would drop considerably.

No offense meant to Denti, for if you take the time to read this thread, and feature request threads you will notice I myself am one who waits respectfully for days, weeks, months to see if a feature has been implemented, and then repost as well trying to stir up the idea again.

However, if i myself were giving a simple this is not an easy thing to do. I would respect that answer and obviously not ask again, leaving a much cleaner board for developers to go back to when times are slow to perhaps move those ideas to a "little tougher" to do list. (or to a "Never Do" list)

This post is not meant to step on toes... just shed some light on something I've observed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:10 pm »

We've commented many times.  Most of mine are in red type.

And we've implemented many items.  It's an ongoing process.

The thread has been very helpful, even though some of the ideas won't be used.

« Reply #279 on: January 25, 2015, 02:46:23 pm »

Something that probably won't even take 5 minutes:

"Full-screen" cover-art doesn't fill the screen.
Now I do normally use the "drop shadow" style for cover art, but since the background is black in full-screen, there doesn't seem to be any reason to render that.

Even with the "plain" cover art style it still doesn't fill the screen though:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #280 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:06 am »

Just curious: are half star ratings rejected? Wouldn't that be easy to do?

I've thought about it, but it's kind of hard to do nicely.  The list control would be fidgety with half star ratings, and we don't even have a way to draw a half star right now.

I kind of think a 0-5 rating scale is sufficient, but what do I know.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #281 on: January 26, 2015, 09:30:16 am »

We've commented many times.  Most of mine are in red type.

And we've implemented many items.  It's an ongoing process.

The thread has been very helpful, even though some of the ideas won't be used.

This thread has been helpful and some good changes have come about because of it.

A simple Not a Priority or Would Take Too Long would be nice if you continue this.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2015, 10:17:28 am »

A simple Not a Priority or Would Take Too Long would be nice if you continue this.

I agree.  I recently raised a question about some on the list that were missed and it was a surprise.  A master list somewhere that would indicate if they just haven't got to them or they were considered and rejected for one of these reasons would be good.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2015, 11:07:03 am »

I've thought about it, but it's kind of hard to do nicely.  The list control would be fidgety with half star ratings, and we don't even have a way to draw a half star right now.

I don't personally need/want more than 5 stars, but if you really wanted to do this, how about just going to 10 stars, then 1/2 stars aren't needed at all.

*if you do this, please 'auto-convert' the current 5 stars to double-up into the new system
pretend this is something funny

Denti

« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2015, 11:21:35 am »

Thanks for the reply. The standard for me is rateyourmusic.com: In fact, it would be amazing to have that site somehow integrated with MC, but that's another dream. Anyway, they have a 10-tier 5-star model. Looks and works nice. If course it's web-based.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2015, 01:31:16 pm »

Thanks for the reply. The standard for me is rateyourmusic.com: In fact, it would be amazing to have that site somehow integrated with MC, but that's another dream. Anyway, they have a 10-tier 5-star model. Looks and works nice. If course it's web-based.

+1 for the ratings base on the RYM system !
It's my default source for tagging and rating albums. Not sure their database is easily accessible though (API, etc.)

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2015, 01:39:32 pm »

What would be even more awesome is if they stored aggregate information like rateyourmusic ratings in their own POPM fields and then you could view those as well as your own ratings. Movies already have Critic Rating (which is out of 10 :P).

Denti

« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2015, 02:18:33 pm »

Yeah, I use rateyourmusic to catalog my collection, and to rate. They have track ratings and album ratings.

jmhsb

• Recent member
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2015, 12:27:54 pm »

Add a Very High stream quality option so Gizmo, EOS, etc can stream video in 1080p.

Add a Redbook or Lossless audio option to stream 16/44.1 Ogg instead of just MP3.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2015, 12:35:09 pm »

Add a Very High stream quality option so Gizmo, EOS, etc can stream video in 1080p.

We already offer a 1080p option in the media server, Gizmo just doesn't offer it, but MC can do it if another app would ask for it.

Add a Redbook or Lossless audio option to stream 16/44.1 Ogg instead of just MP3.

Ogg is not lossless. And we can technically stream lossless PCM as well, if an app requests it.

Note that in general the media streaming is up for a big review sometime this year, so until then major changes are not likely to occur.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmhsb

• Recent member
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »

We already offer a 1080p option in the media server, Gizmo just doesn't offer it, but MC can do it if another app would ask for it.

Ogg is not lossless. And we can technically stream lossless PCM as well, if an app requests it.

Note that in general the media streaming is up for a big review sometime this year, so until then major changes are not likely to occur.

A 1080p option for the Android preset?  I believe that is what Gizmo and EOS use.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67837.msg504947#msg504947  How is it called? Very High? 

Ogg has a lossy video layer, but you can send lossless audio (ie FLAC) within an Ogg shell.  This is how lossless streaming sites like Wimp/Tidal do it.  It would reduce bandwidth and eliminate compatibility issues with streaming fully lossless PCM.  I hope it is considered when media streaming is reviewed. 

Denti

« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2015, 06:37:11 pm »

How about allowing for display names to effectively use the list delimiter ; without having to be identical to the sort name:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94744.0

This has been driving me crazy for almost a year now, and I would think it would be a simple fix.

DavidFRobb

« Reply #292 on: January 30, 2015, 11:59:02 am »

An option to move all files in a folder with rename,move,copy

I second this.  In Library Tools > Rename, Move and Copy Files, if a directory name is changed as a result of any operation, there should be an option to tell MC to move non-library files to the new directory name as well.

Oh wait!  That option is there!  I just upgraded to MC 20.0.63.

You guys are quick.

kstuart

« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2015, 05:27:22 pm »

I second this.  In Library Tools > Rename, Move and Copy Files, if a directory name is changed as a result of any operation, there should be an option to tell MC to move non-library files to the new directory name as well.

Oh wait!  That option is there!  I just upgraded to MC 20.0.63.

You guys are quick.

Negative seconds is "Minority Report quick".  8)

Denti

« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2015, 10:00:00 pm »

Please please please allow the ; delimiter to work for display, not just for sorting/grouping!

MC will display using the delimiter only when that display matches the sort/group by field. It would be so nice to be able to have it work independently of this, so that we could, for example, display artists First Name Last Name while sorting Last Name First Name. At this point that is not possible when a ;-delimiter is involved.

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:52 pm »

Negative seconds is "Minority Report quick".  8)

Those Negative Seconds gave me this idea...

When using gap between songs, for instance 2 or 4 seconds MC could count them down instead of blending them in the song's remaining time...

flac.rules

« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2015, 02:51:17 pm »

I also think double clicking on the album name in the audio-view should play the album.

Do this or similar

This seems to have been forgotten, or decided not to be implemented after all.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2015, 02:54:00 pm »

This seems to have been forgotten, or decided not to be implemented after all.

Double-click on an album tile toggles the visibility of the file list.  That seems pretty reasonable to me.  Then you double-click in the file list to start playback.  Otherwise you can click 'Play' on the album tile.

flac.rules

« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2015, 03:01:31 pm »

Double-click on an album tile toggles the visibility of the file list.  That seems pretty reasonable to me.  Then you double-click in the file list to start playback.  Otherwise you can click 'Play' on the album tile.

I don't quite understand what you are saying, so I think we are talking about different things (If I am just being stupid, I apologize), I was talking about double clicking the album name as shown on the attached picture.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #299 on: February 13, 2015, 10:53:21 am »

I don't quite understand what you are saying, so I think we are talking about different things (If I am just being stupid, I apologize), I was talking about double clicking the album name as shown on the attached picture.

Ah, I see!

Next build:
NEW: Double-click on the headers of a grouped list control fires a double-click on the entire grouping, which normally starts playback (but depends on the setting).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up