INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments  (Read 55201 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2012, 02:56:36 pm »

It's still the special price.  When you begin the purchase you will see it.

CRT

• Recent member
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2012, 04:42:01 pm »

Thank you for the clarification...and for the special offer.

I look forward to becoming a MC paying customer. I was going to go the XBMC Linux route with my HTPC build but opted to try MC because of the MADvr component as part of the RO initiative. I was looking for a simple way to maximize the video quality of my MKV movie streams and am impressed with the ease of doing so with MC 17.

Shep Tx

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2012, 07:34:33 pm »

I have not purchased JRiver MC in the past. When I try to purchase it gives me the upgrade price instead of the purchase price.  How do I get to the discounted purchase price for MC17?

Worked perfectly today.  Thanks!

wbmgr

« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:50 pm »

I just upgraded from MC16.  When I tried to install the MC18, I got a pop-up which stated that this program was not compatible with my version of Windows.  I am running Windows 7, 64 bit.  Is there a 64 bit version available, or do I just need to wait for further development?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2012, 06:40:54 am »

I just upgraded from MC16.  When I tried to install the MC18, I got a pop-up which stated that this program was not compatible with my version of Windows.  I am running Windows 7, 64 bit.  Is there a 64 bit version available, or do I just need to wait for further development?
Welcome to the forum.  Download MC17 from our site and install it. There are no problems with Win7 64.

MC18 isn't available yet.

haylo75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2012, 11:16:39 am »

I wanted to jump in here and say thanks for offering, yet again, discounted Media Center upgrade pricing.  Music & Movies are a large part of my life.  Media Center has been at the center of it for over a decade, since I first discovered Media Jukebox in 2001.  Doing some simple math, since 2007 (v 13) my cost for this software has been around $2.30 USD per month.  I can't think of any piece of software, nay, any product I have ever purchased that bests the true value of Media Center.

I don't find myself in this mood often, but my fuse for unwarranted bitching and moaning is short today.  If you read on, you might get bored and/or feel some sort of ire towards me.  That's okay, because you've been warned.

[soapbox]

Media Center does what it does collectively better than anything out there.  It's very customizable and flexible, bending to the needs of the most nitpicking and particular of users.  With that said, the price for this flexibility is a bit of complexity.  Notice my qualification, "a bit".  Contrary to what many new users think, Media Center does work great out of the box.  I've installed the trial on a number of friends machines, and they were blown away.  These aren't the types I would consider power users, more like your typical iTunes / Windows Media person who just didn't know there was an infinitely better option.  Then there are the developer types and tweakers I've introduced to this software.  They're universally in love with its feature set and plug-in capabilities.

I guess you can't make everyone happy though.  New users lament that Media Center doesn't behave like (insert title here) in some specific way.  Guess what, that's probably by design folks.  You don't know how lucky you have it that Media Center does what it does without getting in your way, yet providing a path for customization when desired.  Who else does high quality video without getting in your way?  Who else handles hundreds of thousands of files in a collection with aplomb?  Most alternatives (iTunes, I'm looking at you!) just give up and die.  Who else has a viable, non-cloud based client / server streaming setup that, again, doesn't tank with large libraries?  Who else has a straightforward web based API that can be used to create myriad remote / client apps?  Who else has the DSP options and approachable audiophile level features, most notably the recent integration with digital room correction filters.  Who else does tagging as well, outside of a purpose built tagging app?  I saw someone complaining earlier about not being able to tag lots of files with new genre, etc.  Sorry, you're just using it wrong.  The tag pane is easy to use and approachable.  Who else has as powerful an expression engine for making filters / smartlists?  Who else provides a commensurate amount of flexibility in setting up customized views?  Who else provides regular expression based customizable link bars?  Who else provides a good C++/C# API for programmers seeking to develop plugins?

Complainers can pick a couple features out here and there and state, quite accurately, that an alternative does it better.  Perhaps, but you just missed the point.  Who else does all of these things at all, at any level of usability, at any price?  Sheesh, going through the wiki and my own customizations, there are a ton of features I've not even covered.

Then there are the people who like to person about money in one form or another.  I'm tired of seeing people moan about this upgrade price or that.  If you know how to:

• use a computer
  • install software
  • get on a mailing list
  • follow basic licensing instructions

.. then you'll have no problem upgrading at the discounted price as I have since 2007.  But guess what?  I would happily pay the full price for Media Center for every major release.  JRiver does so much more right than any alternative, and at a very fair price to boot.  The full price for this product, at both the breadth and depth it covers, is without compare.

Oh, and then there are those who love to complain about support, or their perception of the lack thereof.  Contrary to what some new users think, JRiver do care about their users and providing a good level of support.  Jim is quite possibly the most patient man on earth.  Years ago, he posted about JRiver's philosophy behind forum based support.  If for one reason alone, I completely agree with using a forum as the basis for support:  Anyone can search it!  Again and again, like a broken record, he refers back to this post to let people know how things work.  For crying out loud, this post is linked directly from the Support Page, as are the myriad options for finding what one needs!  It's such a no-brainer, that anyone who complains about their email not being answered deserves to be outright ignored.  Yet, Jim, Matt or one of the many very dedicated forum users will invariably answer said complainer in an unfailingly helpful manner.

People also like to complain that X feature is not implemented.  Guess what, everyone has to have priorities.  Try developing packaged software like Media Center, much less successfully, and you'll find that JRiver delivers in this area better than most.  Do your reading on feature requests (it's all here in the forum!), how they're evaluated and how quickly Jr. River responds when it is practical to do so.  They are, again, unique in this area.

Still others complain about bugs and instability.  When people report issues, JRiver simply asks for details as to how a case can be reproduced.  "It doesn't work" doesn't help anyone.  Help them help you, and it is very likely your issue will be put to rest.

Ok, so bottom line:  The product is great, the price is outstanding, and the support is better than at most places.  If you still have something to complain about, you're probably never going to be happy... so perhaps move on and let those who are more reasonable people exist in relative peace.

[/soapbox]
Kerr

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2012, 08:40:27 am »

haylo75,
Thanks for the very kind words.

Jim

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2012, 10:00:22 pm »

Although the reduced price offer is no longer available, is it still the case that if I buy 17 today I will be upgraded to 18 when it comes out?

Thanks!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2012, 12:53:52 pm »

Back from a 4 week holiday and just in time for the offer!

Looking forward to the new version.

PS Zenpmd, the offer runs until 31st of august.

ghoti

• Recent member
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »

PS Zenpmd, the offer runs until 31st of august.
Actually, the price is $2.00 higher than the previous offer.  It was $18.98 through August 15, it shows as $20.98 now (at least for me though I upgraded at $18.98 earlier).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2012, 06:44:39 am »

Actually, the price is $2.00 higher than the previous offer.  It was $18.98 through August 15, it shows as $20.98 now...
That's correct.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2012, 11:06:43 am »

I was buying new - not upgrading :) The question was whether I buy now I also get 18 when it comes out. Anyway, I have bought it and its an incredible piece of software. :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2012, 11:09:17 am »

I was buying new - not upgrading :) The question was whether I buy now I also get 18 when it comes out. Anyway, I have bought it and its an incredible piece of software. :)
Thank you.  Anyone who bought MC17 after July 10, 2012, received an MC18 license that works with both versions.

Steve Aresti

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2012, 12:08:58 pm »

It's still the special price.  When you begin the purchase you will see it.
Welcome to the forum.  Download MC17 from our site and install it. There are no problem with Win7 64.

MC18 isn't available yet.

Ki Choi

• Recent member
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »

Had MC17 working well.  Bought the upgrade to MC18 and received the code.

Restored MC with new code and everything seems to be fine but when I check MC version from Help, it still says 17.0.182.

Do I have the MC18 or still MC17?

Any specific instruction on playing DSD128fs files through Mytek 192 Stereo DSD DAC with the latest firmware installed?

Thanks,

Ki

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2012, 06:51:41 pm »

MC18 isn't yet available.  When it is, just download and install it.  It won't be long, but early versions won't be a lot different and will be a little less stable.

Ki Choi

• Recent member
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2012, 07:04:29 pm »

Thanks Jim for your clarification of the MC18 timing.

Then can JRiver MC17 support DSD128fs to Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC?

Thanks,
Ki

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »

I purchased my copy of JR MC the other day and received a key code. When I click on the install key code, the program runs through its course and then tells me the upgrade is complete. When I click on the about MC, it shows me version 17.0.182. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have version 18 installed?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2012, 11:46:56 pm »

I purchased my copy of JR MC the other day and received a key code. When I click on the install key code, the program runs through its course and then tells me the upgrade is complete. When I click on the about MC, it shows me version 17.0.182. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have version 18 installed?

Media Center 18 has not been released yet.

More here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74256.0
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rhoadesre

Can't upgrade to MC 18
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2012, 08:52:26 am »

Hi,

I've tried since July to upgrade to MC 18 and have yet been able to do so at the reduced upgrade price.  I have gone to the recommended page (http://www.jriver.com/purchase_18_as_upgrade.html) and entered my registration code, but it still comes up with the $49 price.  Can it have something to do with the fact that I am in Germany?

Regards,

Roger E. Rhoades

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can't upgrade to MC 18
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

Hi,

I've tried since July to upgrade to MC 18 and have yet been able to do so at the reduced upgrade price.  I have gone to the recommended page (http://www.jriver.com/purchase_18_as_upgrade.html) and entered my registration code, but it still comes up with the $49 price.  Can it have something to do with the fact that I am in Germany?

Regards,

Roger E. Rhoades

Thanks for thinking of upgrading.

I tried your v17 code and got the $20.98 price.

The code starts with P and ends with 5, like:
Pxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx5

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »

I am running MC17 on two PC's and have bought the upgrade license to MC18. I am sure this has been answered but I cannot find the answer....

I understand MC18 will be compatible with OSx and MAC. My primary music system uses an iMac as the front end. I would love to use MC18 on that. Will that require a special download and license when released?? What will be the cost??

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2012, 10:48:10 am »

I am running MC17 on two PC's and have bought the upgrade license to MC18. I am sure this has been answered but I cannot find the answer....

I understand MC18 will be compatible with OSx and MAC. My primary music system uses an iMac as the front end. I would love to use MC18 on that. Will that require a special download and license when released?? What will be the cost??
Actually, the answer is, the Mac version will be a completely different version. From what I understand, your MC18 license will not work on the Mac version. You'll have to wait for the Mac version (which is audio only for now) to be available to purchase a Mac license.

No cost has been announced as of yet. So yes, separate download and a separate license (for additional cost).

Maybe there will be an option available to anyone w/ MC18 licenses that can get a Mac license on the cheap...

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2012, 10:47:57 am »

Thanks...I like MC17 so much I will have no problem buying it again for my MAC...Just waiting....and waiting...and waiting.....still waiting

Welchga

• Recent member
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2012, 02:50:02 am »

I just purchased Media Center via the Help Menu!  It is the best Media Center Software for my needs.  I payed via PayPal and had to restore my licence key before my registration was recognized.  I hope I followed the right procedure.  My registration code email read:  Registration Code for JRiver, Inc. Media Center 18, Thank you for your purchase of Media Center 18 from JRiver, Inc. for $49.98.  Does this mean I purchased Media Center 18?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2012, 02:55:31 am »

You have an MC18 license that works with either MC17 or MC18 (when it is released).  Thanks for your purchase.

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2012, 02:06:48 am »

Jim ... I purchased MC18 when it was first offered. Yesterday I installed MC 18.0.45 and it worked with my exisiting MC17 licence (Thanks for your reply to my previous thread). You said that early version of MC18 would work with the MC17 licence serial number. When I install a version of MC18 that will not, will I be prompted to enter my new licence?

Everything is running fine with MC18. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I use it for audio replay of FLAC files only so I probably only use 10% of its potential. That 10% is working fine though!

wb1f

« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2012, 02:33:08 pm »

I purchased MC17 in July, 2012. I am trying to do the qualified upgrade, but either I don't understand the instructions, or it is not working.
-The closest I got was an attempt to charge me $40+/-.
Shall I post my registration code here?

Tnx,
Scott @ ScottKingsley.com

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »

I purchased MC17 in July, 2012. I am trying to do the qualified upgrade, but either I don't understand the instructions, or it is not working.
-The closest I got was an attempt to charge me $40+/-.
Shall I post my registration code here?

Tnx,
Scott @ ScottKingsley.com

Hi Scott,

Please install 18.0.48 from here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74505.0

Then upgrade from inside the program.

And thanks for the business.

BadMagic

• Recent member
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2012, 02:07:53 am »

You have an MC18 license that works with either MC17 or MC18 (when it is released).  Thanks for your purchase.

Hi JimH,

"Thanks for your purchase"

Are you a developer and/or (part) owner of J River Media Center?

Regards,
SteveL

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:41 am »

Yes.  I'm jimh at jriver.

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2012, 06:08:54 am »

Hello,
I've upgraded from mc17 to 18 in August.
Today after installing 18.0.48 i tried to register but license file I received by email after the upgrade is expired.
Restoring from internet using my purchase code I downloaded a file a .exe extension instead of the usual .mjr file.
The problem is that this exe file cannot be run on my Win 7 64bit O.S. so I cannot register with my purchase code....
I'm a little puzzled with this and now I have only 1 day trial!!!!

Please help me!!!

Bye

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2012, 06:48:31 am »

I received the email and registered the product.

Thank your for your super quick support!!!!!!!  :)

Bye

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

PatrickC

• Recent member
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2012, 03:02:36 pm »

I am having a replacement HTPC built by Assassin HTPC, to be completed in a week or two. I've already purchased MC 18 upgrade. They are going to install and tweak my versions of Win 7 and MC. What do you recommend about codes and keys in regard to versions and timing. While my media resides on my current HTPC in MC 17, it would be nice to start off with MC 18 in the new HTCP.

Patrick
Patrick
Assassin HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR929, Oppo BDP-83, Vortex Appliance NAS, Logitech SB Touch, GoldenEar Triton 7, GoldenEar SCX, 4 NHT Super Ones(Height & Surr.), Sunfire True Sub, WDTV Live Streaming, plus incomplete WHA.

ubernode54

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2012, 10:15:33 am »

Question/Support Please:

Upgraded three of my home pcs from registered MC17 to registered MC18 with no problems. Came to work today and tried two more: my server box and my laptop, both from the same registered MC17. The server update went fine; restored all my settings from MC17. The laptop, not so much. It starts up unregistered and without my library settings having been imported. I've tried uninstalling and rebooting to no success. Did I miss something? Or is there a setting I must clear to make this work properly?

Otherwise, great work! Can't wait to get yet another box setup for my TV! :)

EDIT: NVM, got it! Just made sure this time to have my license file handy to restore, and then Restored my last MC17 library on the Laptop... Just like the Wiki says so! :) My bad. Thanks again!!!

carlomartin

« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2012, 08:03:28 am »

Hello,
I bought JR MC 17 in the 10/12/2011 (Media Center 17 from JRiver, Inc. for $49.98).
Yesterday using the link in the email sent by JR, this is the text: (Good day, JRiver Media Center 18 beta is now available.
This is your last chance to get the early-upgrade discount price.  Upgrade today for $20.98 (the regular price is $26.98).
And if you already upgraded, thank you!) I bought the upgrade for $20.98.
I received the activation code but, when I tried to dowload, I was still required to pay about $46?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??
What should I do now?
Thanks

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2012, 11:24:33 am »

You should have received an activation key by email when you upgraded.
Run MC18.  Go to the Help Menu and click on Register
You should be able to enter the activation key here to register.
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

PatrickC

• Recent member
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2012, 02:56:50 pm »

I'm having a new HTPC built. Starting from scratch, do you recommend they install v.17 or v.18 at this time? I have paid versions of both.
Patrick
Patrick
Assassin HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR929, Oppo BDP-83, Vortex Appliance NAS, Logitech SB Touch, GoldenEar Triton 7, GoldenEar SCX, 4 NHT Super Ones(Height & Surr.), Sunfire True Sub, WDTV Live Streaming, plus incomplete WHA.

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »

Excellent work with v18...very impressed as usual. Only issue I'm having is some remote control weirdness (the pause / play / stop commands intermittently don't work) but I think I just need to re-do the commands.

Keep up the great work and can't wait for the full version!

dgnether

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2012, 07:46:55 pm »

Purchased MC on Oct 6th and downloaded verson 17.0.186. Had it playing find for downloaded 44.1, 96/24 and even DoP (DSD over PCN 352Mhz. Downloaded the upgrade to 18.0.63 today for which I was eligible hoping to finally get actual DSD 2.8MHz. Installed 18 upgrade then uninstalled 17. Any tracks I select now indicate they are "buffering" and never gets beyond that till I finally get the 'Playback Problem" messsage. Am using ASIO 2.2 to external USB DSD DAC. One error message stated that there might be a problem with Windows Media Center running at the same time so removed it. Another error message stated it might be due to two different users being assigned but I am the only one.  How do I get this to work now?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2012, 08:09:17 pm »

@dgnether, double-check your settings in Options > Audio.

Turn off bitstreaming, at least until you get everything else working.

Thanks, and please start a new thread if you need more help (instead of replying here).

prerich

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:40 am »

Is MC18 stable yet or is it still in beta stage?

Mark Powell

• Recent member
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:43 am »

You ask us to drop by. So I am. Just upgraded to 18 from 17 a couple of hours ago. I'm in the UK. Upgrade worked very smoothly, as did the payment process. It all took only a few minutes and is running fine as far as I can tell. And you guys can do all this without being in our 'wonderful' European Union!

Very pleased, best wishes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2012, 07:39:03 am »

Thanks for taking time to say so.  Welcome to the forum.

booaaaa27

• Recent member
Re: Re: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2012, 01:07:19 am »

I just want to say YOU ROCK. As a beginner in hidef audio and video this software is just unbelievable. I know it through referral from Amr dac. No words can describe how shocked I am that such a software exist for this hobby. Audio n video in one!!!!! Possibly the only one? Anyway I can keep on ranting but it may annoy others. Keep up the great work!!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Upgrading to MC18 -- Questions and Comments
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2012, 11:04:54 am »

Audio n video in one!!!!!

DOn't forget Images  ;D

noahwwinter

• Recent member
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2012, 01:10:42 pm »

I'm defiantely going to upgrade.  I downloaded the upgrade on my pc and had no issues but may wait to install on my htpc until MC 17 stability is achieved now that I have everything working great, thaks be to InflatableMouse.

Can you tell me what sort of "fully configurable" option is planned for theater mode?  I would love to get rid of the tracks and cover art on the sides of the screen when I play audio on theater mode and just have the images.

Also, I would like to get rid of the huge black box in the center of the screen when playing a video, just have the sound and the artist images.

I did not see away to configure this in either 17 or 18.

Ideally if the artist images could appear in a box that could be expanded or reduced by dragging the same as the interface in standard mode that would be ideal instead of only full screen as oftern the picture is cut off.  Some of these items may already be possible and I am jsut unaware.

Thanks for such an excellent program.  Wouldn't listen to HD audio without it.

pieeyed

• Recent member
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2012, 05:34:03 pm »

I was wondering if someone can help me. On Nov 20, 2012 I purchased Media Center 18 which my registration code states. The program downloaded to my computer says it is Media Center 17. Which program do I have and can I upgrade without having to pay again. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »

Just download MC18 and install it.  

jrj

• Recent member
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42:38 pm »

I upgraded from 14 to 18. It comes up and looks like it will work. But when I try to play something one of two things happens.
1. it does nothing for a while and then crashes
2. It crashes right away.
When it crashes, it won't close and the only way to get the computer going again is to reboot. Phooey! How do I get this to work or get my money back?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up