INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Easy  (Read 79280 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Too Easy
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2015, 06:06:43 pm »

Take Television out of Drives and Devices and have it at top level. Having it lumped with Drives is weird.

We'll do this.  Long overdue.
+1 !

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:29 pm »

Ability to tag songs with multiple albums to stop need for duplicates in Library.

Arindelle

« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2015, 11:17:52 am »

Searching (standard View) I believe could be simplified and avoid jumping back and forth between views ...

• Allow "search" to search entire library not just from the view you are currently on
    (maybe results could be shown like in JRemote or set an optional "search view" via options if the search box wouldn't work)
  • Allow to set and preferably order search box results, by field. If fields don't have the "default" box checked, they aren't shown.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2015, 06:11:27 pm »

Allow TV Series art to be alternatively stored as folder.jpg or seriesname.jpg in the series directory. This is currently possible for season and episode art. Some scrapers will only allow saving art to the series folders and not in external locations (like the MC cover art folder).

« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2015, 08:47:21 am »

Something I have run into a lot recently, is that it would make things a lot easier to be able to right-click a zone in Playing Now, and select play/pause/stop.

Far easier to do this than manually switch to the zone and then stop it.

Next/prev controls might also be useful, though I am more likely to switch to that zone's tab if I am going to manipulate the playlist.

« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2015, 08:55:04 am »

It would be very useful for any audio track longer than a user-specified duration (say 20 minutes) to automatically be treated as a podcast.

Recently I have downloaded a handful of podcasts from a website (rather than subscribing in MC) and every single time I have managed to either stop playback instead of pausing it, or MC has crashed, and I've lost my position.

When they're played from Explorer rather than imported into the library, they don't seem to resume playback.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2015, 09:16:03 am »

Something I have run into a lot recently, is that it would make things a lot easier to be able to right-click a zone in Playing Now, and select play/pause/stop.

Far easier to do this than manually switch to the zone and then stop it.

Next/prev controls might also be useful, though I am more likely to switch to that zone's tab if I am going to manipulate the playlist.

Next build:
NEW: Added a right-click 'Controls' section to Playing Now with Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous in it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2015, 10:18:41 am »

I agree completely.

I've asked for it before, but I'll mention it again... What I would like is: Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Rating Weight Bias that defaults to zero (which preserves current behavior) but allows you to select integers in the range -3 to +3 (or maybe -5 to +5 but that seems unnecessary).

I'd set it to -1 and then Play Doctor would consider my two-star rated tracks what it considers 3 star/unrated, and I think it would improve the behavior of Play Doctor with my system of rating.

I don't know that they said this would never change.  They may not have liked certain proposals, or not commented, but there are other fish to fry.  Would have been a good one for the thread, but I forgot about it until just now.

As far as half-star ratings, I'm not interested.  It might be nice if you could set the range on the stars so that you could use Stars Edit Types for other purposes more easily (so you could set it to 10 to get ten stars, or 3 to get a three-way switch, as discussed in the Checkbox thread).  Might be nice, though I'm not super motivated to push for it.

+100 - this may not solve all my problems but would certainly be a step in the right direction.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2015, 11:26:51 am »

Next build:
NEW: Added a right-click 'Controls' section to Playing Now with Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous in it.

This would be great in Overview as well; just right click on the header displaying the zone name, without having to change the current active zone.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2015, 11:27:55 am »

This would be great in Overview as well; just right click on the header displaying the zone name, without having to change the current active zone.

Right-click on the zone doesn't change the active zone.  So I don't see a reason to duplicate it under Overview.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2015, 12:17:09 pm »

An option to stop playback in all zones when right-clicking the "overview" item in Playing Now might be nice though? (if that's not already covered)

I just wanted to say thanks for the quick changes. It's definitely going to be one of those things which is a small change that ends up being used all the time and eliminating the small annoyance of having to switch tabs to stop playback in a zone.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2015, 12:33:22 pm »

Right-click on the zone doesn't change the active zone.  So I don't see a reason to duplicate it under Overview.

Maybe our wires are crossed here. When in overview, right clicking in any content under a zone certainly does change the active zone for me.

packux

• Recent member
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2015, 12:42:43 pm »

The possibility to save/load PEQ settings in a text (or XML,JSON or other) file. I know that copying a Zone would possibly do the trick, however imagine the case where one Zone is configured for 2.0, another for 5.1 etc.

Would be extra handy for people (like me :-) ) that use mwillems guide for speaker correction (or similar approaches) and tinker a lot with their PEQ, using various zones. For the time being, we have to resort in regedit, copy pasting etc.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2015, 12:43:55 pm »

When scraping metadata for multiple videos using "Get Movie & TV info":

The unticking of the "Allow overwriting of existing values" checkbox is ignored for the [Name] field. This can be useful sometimes, but most of the time it is an annoyance if I've just renamed movies and TV shows the way I want them.
Can we have the [name] field respect the check box, or have a separate box/sub-box for this (my preference)? That way we can keep the current behaviour when it's needed. Ideally, we'd one day have control of all the fields we want to overwrite or not, but that's another thread and MC version, I suppose.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2015, 12:57:09 pm »

When scraping metadata for multiple videos using "Get Movie & TV info":

I think a pause option between files/types would be nice... one imports multiple movies, tv shows, home videos. When one selects all those files to do a get movie info, it pauses on each type/series.
Example...

1. when it sees the file is a movie, it will stop let you verify the movie is correct, then it will move to next movie stop let you verify.
2. once get movie and info gets to a media sub type/TYPES TV Show with Series filled in.. it will select/show all those in the series, stop, and allow you to chose the appropriate series.
3. once it gets to media subtype home videos it will stop and allow you to enter in the data.

perhaps for those that would not like this feature, on the Get movie info screen that pops up before it grabs all the meta data, there could be a checkbox that states... Auto Pause between each media subtype/series.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2015, 01:02:26 pm »

Our family would love an option to delete a playlist/smartlist from server/client and it be gone for good. instead of having to shutdown all jriver clients to get it removed. (when households have 3,5,10 devices having to go to each device to get a command to stick is really time consuming.)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »

I see you're moving on to new requests now.  Does that mean all the previous requests were already considered?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2015, 04:03:13 pm »

Is there a way that Playing Now can be independent of the current library?  When I have a playlist going, it is annoying at best when I change libraries, that playing now stops.  Also would be nice to be able to add songs from different libraries to the current play list.
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2015, 04:06:19 pm »

I see you're moving on to new requests now.  Does that mean all the previous requests were already considered?
What did we miss?

Al ex

Re: Re:
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2015, 04:13:45 pm »

A "Set Computer to sleep" button in Gizmo.

Do this or similar
This is missing.

kstuart

« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2015, 04:51:23 pm »

An Option with default to current behavior, to:

Not change Standard View display to "Recently Imported" playlist after an Import.

(That would save me from having to click BACK after every Import, in order to return to what I was doing.)

Do this or similar
This is missing.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2015, 05:32:19 pm »

My (old) ideas for making Images workflow more intuitive (each one should fit your criteria):

1) Double-click thumbnail takes you right to Preview mode
2) Add to image Preview mode (Panes, thumbnail text): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75647.msg512950#msg512950
3) Allow for custom text in tooltip: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77598.0
4) Set a default external editor that is easy to launch

Consider

Missed or rejected?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Denti

« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2015, 07:30:55 pm »

Half-star ratings.

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2015, 01:30:18 am »

The ability to search in Playlists and in Playlists Only.

D-Kalck

• Recent member
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2015, 01:54:57 am »

Add language selection for themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com (Get Movie & TV Info...) in the Services category in options.

Al ex

Re: Re: Too Easy
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2015, 02:05:59 am »

Add language selection for themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com (Get Movie & TV Info...) in the Services category in options.
+1

rlebrette

Re: Re : Too Easy
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2015, 05:22:14 am »

Order tags based on their translated version.

Denti

« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2015, 01:19:29 pm »

Half-star ratings.

To explain: this is obviously desired by many. Just search the forums.
It's totally uncontroversial, because you don't have to use them if you don't want to.
And I imagine it's very easy to implement.

Why not?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2015, 12:45:57 am »

I'd appreciate the file location controls remembering the last 2-4 custom settings for folder and file location.  

When I'm ripping a classical CD, I want the file location rule to be

[Composer] - [Album] - [Artist] - [Track #] - [Name]

When I'm ripping a CD of popular music, I want to use

[Artist] - [Album] - [Track #] - [Name]

At present, MC forgets my custom rule when I switch.  When I switch back, I have to retype the whole thing (and sometimes make a mistake.)

MusicHawk

« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2015, 01:00:08 am »

It should be easy to make Stars/Ratings more flexible and SAFER (a problem documented several versions ago), with just two changes:

Larger range and 1/2 stars: Change Rating field to accept a range of 10, could be 0 to 10, or 0 to 1.0, or whatever. Map these values to stars, including half-stars. Or pick another range, but at least double the current range so numbers are available to show half-stars. Value 0 should be available to indicate "not rated"/no stars. (Personally I'd also use negative value to indicate status such as "duplicate with lesser quality", "alternate" and similar, but now I do this in a custom field and could continue that). And be sure Rating field can be displayed as its number where desired, not always forcing Stars because they take up much more space. (What some database systems do is provide Stars as a field/column display option for any numeric field that has an explicit range.)

Prevent inadvertent Rating change: Provide an option to disable (or require confirmation of) clicking displayed stars to change Rating field value, and enforce this wherever Stars are displayed. Because the current implementation -- one-click-changes-Rating -- is a huge risk to library integrity, Rating is the only field value that gets changed by one simple click, no typing/selecting/confirming. A user can click almost anywhere in MC and not harm anything, without explicit additional steps. But click the Stars display and BAM, the track now has a new Rating. It's not OOPS because the user doesn't even realize what happened, there was no expectation that a single click would alter data. In many situations this unnoticed, unintended change in Rating can cause that track to disappear from smartlists, or appear where it shouldn't. This might be noticed...never. Who rechecks all their track Ratings periodically? I suggest disabling the Star-click-changes-Rating behavior, instead require that the underlying numeric value be typed or selected, so editing Rating is like any other field.

This suggestion is aligned with earlier suggestions about UI inconsistent terminology. Having one field behave different from all the others is also a UI inconsistency that contributes to "MC is too hard".

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Al ex

« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2015, 01:46:41 am »

I'd appreciate the file location controls remembering the last 2-4 custom settings for folder and file location.  

When I'm ripping a classical CD, I want the file location rule to be

[Composer] - [Album] - [Artist] - [Track #] - [Name]

When I'm ripping a CD of popular music, I want to use

[Artist] - [Album] - [Track #] - [Name]

At present, MC forgets my custom rule when I switch.  When I switch back, I have to retype the whole thing (and sometimes make a mistake.)
For this, you can define and use presets in “rename, move and copy“

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2015, 02:45:10 am »

For this, you can define and use presets in “rename, move and copy“

NO!

I was talking about rules for naming files when I rip CDs.  I use rules for renaming files but that does not affect the names MC assigns to files when it rips CDs.  Your suggestion would require a manual step to rename files each time I ripped CDs.

I made this request after living with the problem for some time.  I don't think you put much effect into dismissing my request.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2015, 04:16:18 am »

NO!

I was talking about rules for naming files when I rip CDs.  I use rules for renaming files but that does not affect the names MC assigns to files when it rips CDs.  Your suggestion would require a manual step to rename files each time I ripped CDs.

I made this request after living with the problem for some time.  I don't think you put much effect into dismissing my request.

DBpoweramp will do what you want - you can define a rule for the file path along the lines of "if the genre is classical and it's not a compilation then the file path is ..... else ....  else ...."

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2015, 10:52:17 am »

DBpoweramp will do what you want - you can define a rule for the file path along the lines of "if the genre is classical and it's not a compilation then the file path is ..... else ....  else ...."

I am quite familiar with dBpoweramp, having used it in the past.  I use JRiver because I can tag classical music files exactly as I want them much more easily with JRiver at the time I'm ripping CDs.  I am specifically asking for a change that will make ripping CDs with JRiver better for me.  I've been using JRiver for nearly 9 years and have ripped thousands of CDs with it.

JimH invited requests for changes that could be implemented quickly.  I addressed my post to JRiver. 

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2015, 11:04:15 am »

That is a nice suggestion.

You can create a separate ripping library or two just for ripping. Open the library with your required ripping settings and use just for ripping.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2015, 11:09:47 am »

That is a nice suggestion.

You can create a separate ripping library or two just for ripping. Open the library with your required ripping settings and use just for ripping.

Thanks.

I do use a separate library for ripping and sometimes additional tagging.  I like to get things right before adding files to my permanent library.

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2015, 07:30:25 am »

What did we miss?

Connected Media: Currently the "Keep using this answer" box lasts only for the current session, requiring the same procedure with every use.  Suggest making the selection permanent until needing to be altered.

Do this or similar

Missed or rejected?

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2015, 07:45:21 am »

The ability to search in Playlists and in Playlists Only.

A friend told me that this wasn't well put.

So, what I mean is the ability to search at the left pane (where the playlist tree is). Thank you :)

« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2015, 08:11:07 am »

A friend told me that this wasn't well put.
So, what I mean is the ability to search at the left pane (where the playlist tree is). Thank you :)
I assume that you are talking about split views.
Under the split view menu, there should be options for:

• Search in currently active view
  • Lock search to view 1
  • Lock search to view 2
  • Lock search to view 3

Having search locked to the left-most view would be useless for the way that I have it set up.

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2015, 09:41:10 am »

I assume that you are talking about split views.
Under the split view menu...

Thank you for responding. No I am not talking about the split views. I am talking about the ability to search at the first pane where the Playlist tree is. In that way I could search through the 200+ -
playlist-names and playlist-folders that I have created to keep my database organized :)

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »

I am quite familiar with dBpoweramp, having used it in the past.  I use JRiver because I can tag classical music files exactly as I want them much more easily with JRiver at the time I'm ripping CDs.  I am specifically asking for a change that will make ripping CDs with JRiver better for me.  I've been using JRiver for nearly 9 years and have ripped thousands of CDs with it.

JimH invited requests for changes that could be implemented quickly.  I addressed my post to JRiver. 

I hope you get what you want.

strend

• Recent member
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2015, 02:09:06 pm »

Replace the Theater View Youtube app with

https://www.youtube.com/tv#/

This would take care of Vemo and other channels that don't play.  I know you can just link the URL as a theater view object, but it's not full screen and exiting the page requires a mouse (I think?)

As it is now, anytime I want to browse youtube in the living room I just swap over to my Roku

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2015, 05:52:13 pm »

What do you all think about this one? I would love a universal search function in the upper right hand box.

I'll give this one a shot.

Search function on top right of the program window limits search results to files that are included in the last active view. Views are divided into Audio, Video, Image by default, so search results are by default set to give incomplete results from the library, based on the last active view window. [For example] find a movie by typing Big Lewbowski, even if the last active view was Chamber Music.

Request: Set up an option to search entire library by default in the top right search window.
Do this or similar

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2015, 06:07:00 pm »

I agree with you.  Maybe the search could automatically search the rest of the library if nothing is found in the current view.

« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2015, 06:12:10 pm »

Some thoughts on search from a few months ago: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93194

kstuart

« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2015, 06:52:37 pm »

Time Remaining in all of the tracks that have not yet been played in Playing Now.  (Currently we only have that for the track playing.)

This would allow functionality similar to a CD player, where one can cycle between Elapsed Time in Track, Remaining Time in Track, and Remaining Time in Album.

Since MC20 uses the "Playlist of cool unrelated tracks" paradigm instead of the album paradigm, it would be helpful to at least have some way of seeing the Time Remaining in the album (or for that matter, the Time Remaining in the Playlist Of Cool Unrelated Tracks). :)

Thanks.

« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2015, 07:04:08 pm »

Time Remaining in Playing Now.

This would allow functionality similar to a CD player, where one can cycle between Elapsed Time in Track, Remaining Time in Track, and Remaining Time in Album.

Since MC20 uses the "Playlist of cool unrelated tracks" paradigm instead of the album paradigm, it would be helpful to at least have some way of seeing the Time Remaining in the album (or for that matter, the Time Remaining in the Playlist Of Cool Unrelated Tracks). :)

Thanks.
The variables list already includes:

[Elapsed Time]
[Total Time]
[Remaining Time]

However there is not an option that I can see for the elapsed/total/remaining playlist time. These only apply to the currently playing track.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2015, 09:58:14 am »

I agree with you.  Maybe the search could automatically search the rest of the library if nothing is found in the current view.

I like the fact that I can scope a search by selecting a view first, so please don't do this by default. Or at least pop up a dialog box that asks if you want to turn it on the first time it is used. The dialog would change a setting in the options for you.

kstuart

« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:14 am »

The variables list already includes:

[Elapsed Time]
[Total Time]
[Remaining Time]

However there is not an option that I can see for the elapsed/total/remaining playlist time. These only apply to the currently playing track.

I edited the request so that it is clearer, thanks.

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2015, 06:13:42 pm »

Have "Import Paths" Library dependant.  When I change libraries to import "New Media" prior to archiving, I always have to change to Import path from the last path used (usually from a different library like, "Archived Media").  If the Default import path for each library could be set and saved indiviually, I'd be happy.
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up