INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370432 times)

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #500 on: February 25, 2015, 10:43:19 pm »

They are stickied in this forum.
The general instructions:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94636.0
The Beta Firmware
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95314.0

I restored the Id to the current (non-beta) firmware. It's running well now. Didn't need to update bios 034 to 048 since Debian MC20 update 64 eliminated any hanging when coming back up after the reboot.

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #501 on: February 26, 2015, 11:55:09 pm »

Following is an exchange with Baseball a couple of days ago with some questions.

If one could log into the id through a network attached computer, it would be very helpful and convenient.

Look at the Id zone in your Ubuntu MC. How & where do I look to find this?
Right-Click->Show Device Webpage->Audio Device

If you are only sending to the Id, change the DLNA server settings on your MC 19 to NOT convert files.  How do I change DLNA server settings?

I did recently get MC 20 loaded.  I tried both versions 20.0.70 and 20.0.74.  I have problems with frequent crashes with both of them.  Would appreciate any suggestions you have.
Thanks for your help.
JRiver Id w MC 20.0.118, Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet running Bubble UPnP, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w BridgeII

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #502 on: February 27, 2015, 03:26:36 pm »

Following is an exchange with Baseball a couple of days ago with some questions.

If one could log into the id through a network attached computer, it would be very helpful and convenient.

Look at the Id zone in your Ubuntu MC. How & where do I look to find this?

If you are only sending to the Id, change the DLNA server settings on your MC 19 to NOT convert files.  How do I change DLNA server settings?

I did recently get MC 20 loaded.  I tried both versions 20.0.70 and 20.0.74.  I have problems with frequent crashes with both of them.  Would appreciate any suggestions you have.
Thanks for your help.

Find the Id zone under playing now on the ubuntu computer then

DLNA server settings are under
Options->Media Network->Add or configure DLNA servers..

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #503 on: February 27, 2015, 10:15:34 pm »

I am trying to update my MC to the latest one for Id. I went into the settings page and keyed in '12'. something happens and I get this

-su: line 1: 3285 Hangup        mediacenter19 /mediaserver > /dev/nul 1 2 > &1

It has been like this for half an hour now, I don't know if it is downloading....

What do I need to do next?

Oon

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #504 on: February 27, 2015, 10:50:21 pm »

I am trying to update my MC to the latest one for Id. I went into the settings page and keyed in '12'. something happens and I get this

-su: line 1: 3285 Hangup        mediacenter19 /mediaserver > /dev/nul 1 2 > &1

It has been like this for half an hour now, I don't know if it is downloading....

What do I need to do next?

Oon
MC needs to terminate while the update is happening so the hangup is normal.
The update is around 23 megs so if your connection is slow it could take a while.
I'd let it sit. If it's still going long after you think it should be done you could hit the power button once to shut it down. Don't hold it down, that's a poweroff shutdown. Not good to do in the middle of an update.
If worse comes to worse you can always restore the firmware with the repair image mentioned in this forum. Hopefully you have a backup of your library (if you have a library on it) just in case.

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #505 on: February 27, 2015, 11:48:53 pm »

looks like the thing downloaded after all, and I performed the upgrade. the upgrade seems to have gone smoothly however after that when I tried to turn it on. I get the main menu but not the JRiver console. I also could not connect to it by gizmo...

What is the next step..

Oon

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #506 on: February 28, 2015, 07:37:26 am »

When you rebooted, did you remove the USB stick?

If you got the Id's normal menu, choose GUI mode if you want to see MC.

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2015, 10:10:14 pm »

Hi,

I didn't use the USB stick (did not need to do a recovery). I just used the software to update itself using option 12. After update, the menu is still there, but I only have the background without the gui, media centre icon is also missing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: March 01, 2015, 07:42:35 am »

On that menu, there is a choice for GUI.

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #509 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:55 am »

I have tried that a few times, gui option but I don't have it. I used to have it on the original software version that came with the Id. So I am familiar with that. If you minimise the software you have the background with a swirl on it and an icon at the bottom of the screen. Now when I boot up in gui mode, all I get is the main menu in a small windows and the swirl background. But the gui and icon is missing.

Oon

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #510 on: March 02, 2015, 10:49:04 am »

I have tried that a few times, gui option but I don't have it. I used to have it on the original software version that came with the Id. So I am familiar with that. If you minimise the software you have the background with a swirl on it and an icon at the bottom of the screen. Now when I boot up in gui mode, all I get is the main menu in a small windows and the swirl background. But the gui and icon is missing.

Oon
So you are actually in GUI mode and not 80x24 text mode.
On the taskbar at the bottom of the screen do you see MediaCenter anywhere (perhaps it's just minimized).
Also, far left on the bottom is the workspace screen number. Are you in workspace 1? Can you check the rest?

If you can't find MC anywhere you'll probably have to restore the Id firmware using either the repair iso or the beta firmware iso (see the top of this forum).

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #511 on: March 02, 2015, 05:46:35 pm »

Hi Bob,

I am in workspace one, Didn't see the mediacenter icon at the bottom of the screen (at the taskbar?). So you would suggest I download the repair iso and reinstall it and the update it from there?  What is the difference between that and the beta iso? I have read in your instructions that I would need the registration code. Where can I find the registration code?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #512 on: March 02, 2015, 07:26:52 pm »

Hi Bob,

I am in workspace one, Didn't see the mediacenter icon at the bottom of the screen (at the taskbar?). So you would suggest I download the repair iso and reinstall it and the update it from there?  What is the difference between that and the beta iso? I have read in your instructions that I would need the registration code. Where can I find the registration code?
You could try the beta iso. It's got more features and can do the same firmware restore. It's just been updated to beta5

oon_the_kid

• Recent member
« Reply #513 on: March 03, 2015, 04:12:31 am »

And the registration code? If I use the beta 5, do I still need to do software update by "12"?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: March 03, 2015, 10:44:40 am »

And the registration code? If I use the beta 5, do I still need to do software update by "12"?
The update tries to preserve the registration code. If it's lost I can email it to you.
Just send me a PM with the serial number from the bottom of your Id.

If you haven't applied the update, wait a half an hour or so, I'm going to replace it with a beta 6 that swaps around the media and mnt usage.

Spike1000

« Reply #515 on: March 05, 2015, 06:34:16 am »

Does the Id support HLS streaming over DLNA from MC20?

HLS (Http Live Streaming) plays on MC 20.0.71 and above, not many (hardware) renderers support HLS at the moment  :(

Cheers

Spike

David R. Williams

• Recent member
« Reply #516 on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:18 pm »

Han anyone run a JRMark with the Id to assess it's performance?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #517 on: March 05, 2015, 05:57:42 pm »

Han anyone run a JRMark with the Id to assess it's performance?
Yes, the results are in the JRMark forum message.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #518 on: March 06, 2015, 01:09:06 pm »

Just received the email from JRiver with the forthcoming ID releases.

Are there 360 degree pictures of the ID available.  HDMI to my AVR, and USB to DAC will certainly work well.  

A couple of questions:

1) Is an external HDD or SSD compatible with the ID (OR is the internal spinning drive replaceable on the ID models with server capacity).  Is a specifc brand storage drive used (e.g. WD, Seagate)

2) If an ethernet connection is used, will the wi-fi be defeated....

3) Can the power supply be upgraded, or is the switching module more than adequate for the spinning drive ID units.

Sure I'll buy one, but which one?    Thank you

I am currently using my Bryston BDP-1 as a renderer, but it doesn't work for multichannel.  The ID looks to be a great way to get there.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: March 06, 2015, 02:00:00 pm »

The Id is based on the Intel NUC 2820FYKH.  You can get more information from the PDF file on the Intel site:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-dn2820fykh-brief.html

Wi-Fi isn't active by default.

The power supply is sufficient.  I use it with a 2TB USB drive.  I wrote about it here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95970.0

Thanks for your interest.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #520 on: March 06, 2015, 02:08:20 pm »

Jim, if I were to replace the SSD in my Id Classic with the 2TB drive you recommend, would I experience any major complications? Also, how quiet is that drive? My Id is in the cabinet in front of me in the listening room, behind glass. I cannot hear its fan, but I would not want to hear the drive.

Many thanks.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #521 on: March 06, 2015, 02:27:51 pm »

The Id is based on the Intel NUC 2820FYKH.  You can get more information from the PDF file on the Intel site:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-dn2820fykh-brief.html

The power supply is sufficient.  I use it with a 2TB USB drive.  I wrote about it here:

Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for the prompt response.  I plan on ordering one, just have to decide which version.  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: March 06, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »

Jim, if I were to replace the SSD in my Id Classic with the 2TB drive you recommend, would I experience any major complications? Also, how quiet is that drive? My Id is in the cabinet in front of me in the listening room, behind glass. I cannot hear its fan, but I would not want to hear the drive.
You could just add this drive to your current Id.  I use it with a 2TB USB drive.  I wrote about it here:

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #523 on: March 06, 2015, 02:41:13 pm »

Thank you, Jim. Is it very quiet in comparison to the Id fan?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:10 pm »

Very quiet.  About the same as the Id.  You can hear it if you put it to your ear, but if you step away at all you can't.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #525 on: March 06, 2015, 03:43:24 pm »

Thank you, I will give it a try. I wonder how easy or hard transferring the library might be.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #526 on: March 06, 2015, 03:53:27 pm »

Thank you, I will give it a try. I wonder how easy or hard transferring the library might be.
If you use the external drive for media you can just leave the library on the ssd. If you want to copy media from the ssd to the usb drive you can do that from another machine that can access both shares on the network at the same time.
I think you could also do it from within the MC gui on the Id with the "File rename, move and copy" function.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #527 on: March 06, 2015, 04:14:35 pm »

Thank you, Bob. I'll order the drive and give it a go. I'm considering the 1TB version, though, as my library is currently 150 GB and likely to double or quadruple at most in a year or two, about the expected lifetime of the drive. On the other hand, if you tested this specific model, perhaps it is better to go with that, hopefully it won't be more fault-prone than the lower density one.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #528 on: March 06, 2015, 10:51:44 pm »

Actually, Wi-Fi is always active and currently can't be disabled. The wi-fi switch-off or rfkill commands don't work. The inability to disable wifi was previously brought up here and in the "New Id firmware for beta testing" message board.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #529 on: March 09, 2015, 06:31:13 pm »

Can an external, AC powered DVD/CD (optical) drive be attached via USB2 to the ID and play tracks similar to an external HDD/SSD? 

jikdoc

« Reply #530 on: March 09, 2015, 08:24:48 pm »

questions from a new Id owner:

1.  is it possible to connect to the ID via a computer to create playlists and import files? does this necessitate purchasing another JRiver license for the computer i'd like to run it on?

my library is imported to the Id from a NAS and i'd like to organize it a bit more.

2.  i occasionally lose connectivity to the Id from my iphone/ipad and it necessitates a reboot to reconnect.  is there a setting i need to use to prevent this?  the ID is connected to my home network with ethernet

3.  i'm using a USB out to an external DAC.  the DAC appears several times in the Id output devices menu and i'm not sure which is the correct one to pick.  by trial and error i found one that works but just wondering which is best. the choices are:

default:CARD=CP800
front:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
iec958:CARD=CP800,DEV=0    <--- this is the one i'm currently using
surround40:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
surround41:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
surround51:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
surround61:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
surround71:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
sysdefault:CARD=CP800

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #531 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:39 am »

Can an external, AC powered DVD/CD (optical) drive be attached via USB2 to the ID and play tracks similar to an external HDD/SSD? 
The linux version of MC upon which the Id is built doesn't currently support optical drives.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #532 on: March 10, 2015, 12:26:18 pm »

The linux version of MC upon which the Id is built doesn't currently support optical drives.

Thank you.  Not a deal breaker for my upcoming Id purchase.   :P

I can still plug the external drive in to the Bryston Media Player via USB- it's kind of quirky there, but works for the most part.    
Any thoughts to upgrade support for that feature.  

Thanks again for the reply.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #533 on: March 10, 2015, 12:45:43 pm »

Thank you.  Not a deal breaker for my upcoming ID purchase. 

I can still plug the external drive in to the Bryston Media Player via USB- it's kind of quirky there, but works for the most part.   
Any thoughts to upgrade support for that feature. 

Thanks again for the reply.
It's in the pipeline but no timeframe yet.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »

It's an Id, not an ID.  Pronounced to rhyme with hid or lid, not pronounced as the letters I and D.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #535 on: March 10, 2015, 07:09:18 pm »

It's an Id, not an ID.  Pronounced to rhyme with hid or lid, not pronounced as the letters I and D.

Complications ?    ? ? ?

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #536 on: March 10, 2015, 07:12:01 pm »

It's in the pipeline but no timeframe yet.

Thank you. 

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #537 on: March 12, 2015, 01:41:18 pm »

Jim. or Bob, maybe you can assist me making my final decision of which unit to get.  Just got off the phone with the order desk, and they asked me to post the question (Question #1).

1) Is there any practical advantage to getting the larger capacity Id with spinning drive, versus the smaller Id with the 128gb SSD and plugging in your own portable HDD.  I have about 600-700 gb of flac files, 160 gb of which are Hi-res flac and Hi-res flac surround. 

2)  Is the Id USB output generally compatible with all USB DACs (I have a Wyred4Sound Dac-2)

Thank you.

Robert

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: March 12, 2015, 02:04:53 pm »

It should work with that DAC.

If you're only intending to use the Id as a Renderer (playing to it from another device), then the smaller drive will work.  If you want to also use it as a server, you will need a bigger drive.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #539 on: March 12, 2015, 02:07:55 pm »

Looking for both solutions (renderer and server), so the larger drive looks like the the answer, especially for the hi-res stuff.  Thank you.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #540 on: March 12, 2015, 02:09:41 pm »

Jim. or Bob, maybe you can assist me making my final decision of which unit to get.  Just got off the phone with the order desk, and they asked me to post the question (Question #1).

1) Is there any practical advantage to getting the larger capacity Id with spinning drive, versus the smaller Id with the 128gb SSD and plugging in your own portable HDD.  I have about 600-700 gb of flac files, 160 gb of which are Hi-res flac and Hi-res flac surround. 

2)  Is the Id USB output generally compatible with all USB DACs (I have a Wyred4Sound Dac-2)

Thank you.

Robert
Also to some degree it's just a matter of what you prefer.
I think the smaller package (without the external drive) is nice.
Also, drive access from the internal bus is always going to be faster though I don't think that really matters here.
The flexibility of being able to move an external drive from one place to another might be nice.
OTOH if you have your music somewhere else already, having it on a Id internal drive too can be seen as a type of backup.

In any case you should of course always have your music collection in at least two physically different places.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #541 on: March 12, 2015, 03:16:44 pm »

questions from a new Id owner:

1.  is it possible to connect to the ID via a computer to create playlists and import files? does this necessitate purchasing another JRiver license for the computer i'd like to run it on?

my library is imported to the Id from a NAS and i'd like to organize it a bit more.

2.  i occasionally lose connectivity to the Id from my iphone/ipad and it necessitates a reboot to reconnect.  is there a setting i need to use to prevent this?  the ID is connected to my home network with ethernet

3.  i'm using a USB out to an external DAC.  the DAC appears several times in the Id output devices menu and i'm not sure which is the correct one to pick.  by trial and error i found one that works but just wondering which is best. the choices are:

default:CARD=CP800
front:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
iec958:CARD=CP800,DEV=0    <--- this is the one i'm currently using
surround40:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
surround51:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
surround61:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
surround71:CARD=CP800,DEV=0
sysdefault:CARD=CP800

Well, I'll take a stab at these questions.......

1. I know this was not exactly your question, but you do realize you can make playlists directly on the Id? When in GUI mode on the Id, right-click on "Playlists" to add a new playlist or smartlist (or hit F8 or F9, respectively). I realize that the Id may not always be in a convenient place, though, so as far as accessing it remotely, you may be able to connect to it from another computer running JRiver Media Center by using the "Library Server" feature, with authentication to allow you to make changes.

As far as licensing goes, I am not sure. My understanding is that a "Master License" will allow you to use Media Center across Windows, Mac OS, and Linux platforms on several different computers around the house, but can you upgrade an Id license to a master license? I am not sure. I will leave that to someone from JRiver to answer.

2. Reboot the Id, you mean? How are you accessing the Id from iPhone/iPad? Are you using JRemote? What happens, exactly? Does the Id disappear, does music quit coming out of the Id, or something else?

3. "iec958" is really just a fancy term for "digital audio out". IEC958 is the spec from the International Electrotechnical Commission that codified the S/PDIF and AES/EBU digital outputs. That is what I use for my DAC.

For reference, "front" generally means regular 2-channel audio (front-left and front-right speakers), and all the "surround" modes are probably self-explanatory. I believe they generally refer to analog audio, but that may depend on the hardware and driver involved. For example, "front" might work with your 2-channel DAC, but the "surround" modes probably won't.

I am not quite sure what "default" and "sysdefault" refer to, exactly. Linux documentation is so confusing to me, because it always seems to assume that you already know what they are talking about.  :P

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: March 12, 2015, 03:55:37 pm »

I'll just add a bit to alglove's detailed explanation.

The device names are the hints to the device that ALSA provides based on what the device claims.
Often (but not always) the effect of opening something like front:CARD=CP800,DEV=0 and surround51:CARD=CP800,DEV=0 and  iec958:CARD=CP800,DEV=0 are exactly the same.

The Id is licensed by default. No need to mess around with licenses.

Default and Sysdefault often use the Pulse audio driver framework (if it's installed which it isn't on the Id).

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #543 on: March 12, 2015, 06:20:07 pm »

Also to some degree it's just a matter of what you prefer.
I think the smaller package (without the external drive) is nice.
Also, drive access from the internal bus is always going to be faster though I don't think that really matters here.
The flexibility of being able to move an external drive from one place to another might be nice.
OTOH if you have your music somewhere else already, having it on a Id internal drive too can be seen as a type of backup.

In any case you should of course always have your music collection in at least two physically different places.

Thanks.  I went ahead and ordered the 2TB spinning drive model.  Your backup advice is good.  I have several copies locked down just in case, one remotely.

jikdoc

« Reply #544 on: March 12, 2015, 07:02:50 pm »

alglove: thanks for explanation about iec958, i'll keep using it as well.
as for adding playlists and editing the library, i know i can do that on the Id with the gui but i prefer headless operation and would rather connect from my laptop.  the iPad and iPhone interfaces are too cumbersome for my taste as well for extensive editing.
i guess the real question as you pointed out is whether the Id's MC license can be upgraded to a master license, hopefully it's complimentary given the price but beggars can't be choosers.  how do I upgrade the Id MC license to a master license?

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #545 on: March 13, 2015, 12:57:43 pm »

I encountered a problem using my id as a renderer.  I just received the id last month and got it set up using a USB connection to a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC.  Things seemed to be working well until I took trip for 5 days.  When I left, I shut off my power management center that cut the AC power to my system, like what would happen if you had a power failure.  When I restarted everything, I couldn't get it to play.  The connection to the DAC was lost.  I went through several attempts to get the id to recognize the DAC, and when I did get it reconnected, I get no audio through the left channel.  Other sources like FM and CD play fine.

I'm open to suggestions of what to do next.  The first time I got it working, all was fine.  Can a power failure corrupt anything?
JRiver Id w MC 20.0.118, Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet running Bubble UPnP, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w BridgeII

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #546 on: March 13, 2015, 02:44:56 pm »

I encountered a problem using my id as a renderer.  I just received the id last month and got it set up using a USB connection to a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC.  Things seemed to be working well until I took trip for 5 days.  When I left, I shut off my power management center that cut the AC power to my system, like what would happen if you had a power failure.  When I restarted everything, I couldn't get it to play.  The connection to the DAC was lost.  I went through several attempts to get the id to recognize the DAC, and when I did get it reconnected, I get no audio through the left channel.  Other sources like FM and CD play fine.

I'm open to suggestions of what to do next.  The first time I got it working, all was fine.  Can a power failure corrupt anything?

After I started playing different tracks from my server, it appears to be working.  Sounds like it's time to check cable connections.  I'm still baffled why I had to do several attempts to get the id to recognize the DAC?  The first time I set it up, the id found it right away.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #547 on: March 13, 2015, 04:05:55 pm »

After I started playing different tracks from my server, it appears to be working.  Sounds like it's time to check cable connections.  I'm still baffled why I had to do several attempts to get the id to recognize the DAC?  The first time I set it up, the id found it right away.
The power failure might have corrupted the filesystem on the Id SSD but it's a pretty remote possibility and it wouldn't have been fixable by simply trying it repeatedly.
If you keep having trouble you could restore the firmware.

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #548 on: March 14, 2015, 09:47:11 am »

The power failure might have corrupted the filesystem on the Id SSD but it's a pretty remote possibility and it wouldn't have been fixable by simply trying it repeatedly.
If you keep having trouble you could restore the firmware.

Thanks for your suggestion.  Last night it played fine for several hours. 

For future reference, if I do a quick press/release of the power button to shut the unit down before cutting off power, would it retain its setting to the DAC when powered up again?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #549 on: March 14, 2015, 10:33:43 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion.  Last night it played fine for several hours. 

For future reference, if I do a quick press/release of the power button to shut the unit down before cutting off power, would it retain its setting to the DAC when powered up again?
Yes, the quick push/release of the power button does a orderly shutdown.
Holding down the power button for >5 seconds is a hard poweroff.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 26   Go Up