INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Easy II -- The Request Window is Open, but you'd better read the first post  (Read 94061 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

A while ago, we did an experiment with a request thread that had limitations.  It's here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93038.0

The rules are the same and if you don't read them, you may lose your place in line.

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE POSTING
Long or complex posts will be removed.

In the Too Complex thread, we were told how unintuitive MC could be.

So here's the challenge for those who think it's easy to make intuitive software.

Suggest a change that will make MC easier to use (but NOT a feature request).  

If you can meet the following guidelines, we'll try to make the change.

A change needs to be:

1.  Easy to implement (less than an hour)

2.  Generally useful to most users

3.  Something that doesn't remove existing functionality and that isn't controversial

In other words, it must be obviously better.

and

4.  Something that can be described in 10 lines or less (not complex)

PLEASE don't post anything else in this thread.  Start a new thread if it doesn't fit here.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

As discussed in this thread, it would be handy to have a checkbox to do an automatic Clean() as a post-processing step on the properties filled by the Fill Properties from Filename tool, to fix things like capitalization, underscores, and spacing.

Done. See:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98734.msg683153#msg683153
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

yonkiman

• World Citizen

How about interpreting [Track] and [Track#] the same as [Track #] in the cases where humans are typing the fields (vs. a pulldown or other fixed choice)?

Moderator EDIT: See discussion here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98732.0

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen

Suspect this is easy / quick, but not sure on the # users who would benefit

Make the Create Particle option (Stacks - Advanced - Create Particle) appear in the "recent commands" list.  This would make the UI experience more consistent (& make a laborious task a little easier)

thx,

Steve

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount

Thanks for reviving this thread.

Please add an "Enable/disable ZoneSwitch" to the Zone menu (currently there is "Toggle Zone" but not for ZoneSwitch, which requires going further into the menu).

Have "Send to <zone>" commands bypass Zone Switch

Done. See:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98734.msg683148#msg683148

Write iTunNORM tags to files when analyzed, in addition to R128 and ReplayGain

michaelmcclatchy

• Recent member

Make the default artwork truly customizable.
For example:  Every time that I update JRiver, I lose my personalized logo.png picture  :'(

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I removed a couple +1 posts. Sometimes that is useful to denote that you approve of an idea as suggested. However, this thread is not the place for that, as it will just make the thread longer and full of not-idea posts (and usually devolves into discussion).

As Jim said in the rules:
PLEASE don't post anything else in this thread.  Start a new thread if it doesn't fit here.

It says "don't post anything else". Anything means anything.

If you have comments on a post in here (perhaps, it doesn't meet Jim's Rule #3) then start a new thread and quote the original post in that new thread (the quote the forum generates will have a link back to here).

If you do this, and you want it noted in the original idea (so the discussion thread doesn't get missed), PM me. If it has merit as a discussion or controversy, then I'll add a note to the post as I did above.

Thanks.

PS. King, you too. Sorry (even though you made me laugh).  ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

flac.rules

When in some kind of album-sorted view, clicking "play" on the album should play one album after another when there are duplicates (for instance a mp3-version and a flac-version), not track 1 twice, then track 2 twice, and so on. (this is especially a hassle when using a phone app)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost

I want to repeat a Too Easy request from the last Too Easy thread.

Make it an option to tie the search field to one of more visible split views.

Discussion here.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I know, neither alternative may be easy, but;
"Rename, Move, & Copy Files" was recently upgraded to support moving single program JTV format TV recordings to a new directory, and renaming of component files.

When two or more sequential programs are recorded in JTV format they are saved into one directory, named according to the first recording. "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" is not currently supported where multiple programs in JTV format exist in one directory, so the two programs cannot be split out into more appropriately named directories, one for each program.

Please consider enhancing "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" further to support moving/copying individual programs out of the common directory they are placed in.

Alternately, enhance the Format Conversion tool so that it can convert JTV recordings to TS or MP4 files, for all FTA formats. i.e. 1440x1080i25fps with AC3 audio, common in Australian FTA broadcasts.

Not Simple. See:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98734.msg683144#msg683144
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

Provide an expression debugger so you can understand why your expression isn't working. I suspect this particularly applies to search filters.

A simple implementation might be to show all records with an extra column that contains a pretty print of the 1st failing predicate.

lepa

• MC Beta Team

Please consider changing the dots in the Theater View's Playing Now.  Time/Volume fields which are visible when row is seleceted are much nicer looking and also more informative than dots which are just flowing in the air.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team

OK, so just trawling through my history of requests that I'd still like to see: (in no particular order)

1. Multiple navigation bars on the toolbar
(Maybe not quite a Too Easy, but the devs are such stars it might just be :)
My Navigation menu is becoming unwieldy with many entries to display at one time.  Would be INCREDIBLY USEFUL to be able to add multiple navigation bars to the toolbar that could then be grouped as needed, eg MyCharts, MyViews, MyWhatevers to allow much more direct and easy access to navigation items.  Would need to be able to rename the bar on the toolbar as well.

2. Expression Request: ROW()
One thing I keep wanting to do for many MCs now, but can never find a solution for (and I believe there is currently no solution available) is the ability to show the view row number in my views.  So the expression row() would display the current row in the current view, allowing us to create eg charts and numbering the rows sequentially 1,2,3, etc.

Done. See:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98734.msg683167#msg683167

3. Can we get a datatype that works with date queries?
I have a bunch of user created fields that contain date data, but the smartlist engine doesn't recognise them as date fields, even with &datatype=[date] or as a result of convertdate/formatdate and so I cannot use them with "is in the last", "is not in the last", etc date logic in smartlists.

4. Expression request: isselected()
Would return data for the currently selected entry, allowing targetted processing, eg isselected(Artist) returns the [artist] for the selected item in the current view, which could then be used by smartlists etc to trigger logic based on the selected item.

What's interesting looking at my history of requests is just how many have already been addressed and implemented.  Thanks so much! :D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Some oldies that Jim asked me to Bump and put a Priority on regarding Particles awhile ago and are still outstanding that fit the criteria:

Core Library Maintenance Stuff
#2 - "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" does not work on Particles - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75334.0 : I thought this had been fixed but I've seen other posting problems recently.  
#1 - Sidecar Files & Particles - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80828.0 : If something goes wrong and you need to "Update Library from Tags" you are out of luck
#3 - "Right Click --> Stacks --> Advanced --> Create Particle" action is not added to the "Recent command" list : Just a time saver as when making alot of particle entries (for say time based particles to do chapters you have to navigate through the menu over and over)
#5 - Time based Particle Duration not correct in DB but correct when it plays - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75371.0

Playback Stuff - From memory I believe this one is "Hard" due to the way DVD's are made and is more of a note
#6 - No Subtitles or Languages with DVD Particles - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82343.0

Random Bug
#4 - Incorrect Filename on Create Particles (sometime) - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81508.0  (especially irritating due to the Create Particle not being on the Recent Command list)

Happy to expand, test, update any of these threads etc - Thanks for looking  ;D
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Web Radio - Current process is here in the Wiki but it is not that intuitive, would suggest that:
- Allow streams to be added to a Library View instead of just under the Connected Media Playlist
- If possible use the existing import logic to populate the "Media Sub Type" tag (eg to "Radio" or even a new one such as "Web") so views can be created easily

I'd also suggest that when remotes and clients try to play these items that are treated like all other media and pushed through the transcoding engine when "Always Convert" or "Convert Audio If Necessary" has been selected, instead of just forwarding the URL (note: Don't convert audio would keep this behaviour). 
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I know, neither alternative may be easy, but;
"Rename, Move, & Copy Files" was recently upgraded to support moving single program JTV format TV recordings to a new directory, and renaming of component files.

When two or more sequential programs are recorded in JTV format they are saved into one directory, named according to the first recording. "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" is not currently supported where multiple programs in JTV format exist in one directory, so the two programs cannot be split out into more appropriately named directories, one for each program.

Please consider enhancing "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" further to support moving/copying individual programs out of the common directory they are placed in.

Alternately, enhance the Format Conversion tool so that it can convert JTV recordings to TS or MP4 files, for all FTA formats. i.e. 1440x1080i25fps with AC3 audio, common in Australian FTA broadcasts.
Not a simple change.  Please re-read the first post.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Have "Send to <zone>" commands bypass Zone Switch

I like this idea.

In the first build of MC21:
NEW: Sending files to a particular zone disables Zone Switch from engaging.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

As discussed in this thread, it would be handy to have a checkbox to do an automatic Clean() as a post-processing step on the properties filled by the Fill Properties from Filename tool, to fix things like capitalization, underscores, and spacing.

That's a good idea, and it was pretty easy!

Next build of MC21:
NEW: Added a 'Clean results' checkbox to the Fill Properties From Filename tool that will fix spacing, capitalization, etc.

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck

I've posted it before, but to be sure it will be implemented:

When searching for season-cover-art, MC should automatically remove leading zero from the query.
For instance if i want to get the cover-arts for "SeriesXY" it should search for "SeriesXY - Season 1", even if the value of the season field is 01, because the query "SeriesXY - Season 01" will not find anything(In contrast to "Get Movie & TV info" which seems to return same information with or without leading zeroes).

I know there is a feature that allows to remove leading zeros from library fields but I would like to keep them(For the purpose of file naming). Thus the result of the leading zero removal should be used only for the query, but not written to the library.

Iznogûd

• Recent member
  • I'm trying to learn

The ability to use LAV Splitter's advanced subtitle selection mode in ROHQ

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

2. Expression Request: ROW()
One thing I keep wanting to do for many MCs now, but can never find a solution for (and I believe there is currently no solution available) is the ability to show the view row number in my views.  So the expression row() would display the current row in the current view, allowing us to create eg charts and numbering the rows sequentially 1,2,3, etc.

In the first build of MC21:
NEW: Added an expression function Row() that outputs the current row number of a record.

I'm not totally happy with how it works because it has to search the entire set of files for a match and then it knows the index.  That's a little heavy, but we'll let it ship anyway.

I had second thoughts and ended up rewriting the expression functions so that the index is passed in.

Best of both worlds (except for my time) :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thanks for reviving this thread.

Please add an "Enable/disable ZoneSwitch" to the Zone menu (currently there is "Toggle Zone" but not for ZoneSwitch, which requires going further into the menu).

Is this still needed now that sending to a particular zone bypasses ZoneSwitch?

I'm hoping that's enough, but if not, say the word and we'll consider add the enable / disable to the top menu.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

I'm hoping that's enough, but if not, say the word and we'll consider add the enable / disable to the top menu.
Audio Calibration follows ZoneSwitch rules and will always go to a music zone and you can't "send" Audio Calibration to a zone. Probably a limited application, but I would also prefer a Enable/Disable ZoneSwitch.

FelixM

• Recent member

Playing Now (Theater View)

Configure option to not display the Rating and the Volume fields in Audio Playing Now Screen.

I only change the volume in the amplifier and it displays "Volume n/a" in Playing Now screen wich is useless. Also I do'nt use Ratings.
I want to access the position slider without having to press the arrows in the remote passing sequentially these options I never use.
Even sometimes, accidentally, I rate a song when I press the wrong arrow.

Thanks
MC22, Win7, Intel 4570T, Intel HD4600, Asus H87i-Plus, 2x4GB, SSD Samsung 840Evo 1TB, PicoPSU, Fanless Streacom FC5 Evo, Denon AVR-2106, Infinity Beta 40 & C360, Panasonic TX-L39E6, Logitech Harmony 555 & IR Flirc

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Move Zone tools (ZoneSwitch) to Options like was done with TV tools. I go to Options first almost every time I want to make a ZoneSwitch change and then remember, "Oh yeah, ZoneSwitch is somewhere under Player." You get the benefit of being able to search in Options, too.

18.0.185 (5/15/2013)
9. Changed: Moved all TV tools that were under the 'TV Options...' button in Standard View > Television into Options > Television.  'TV Options...' now just shows Options > Television.

Done. See:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98734.msg683190#msg683190

flac.rules

I think it is somewhat non-intuitive that settings are never auto-backed up when you are connected to a remote library so I would like the program to do auto-backups also when connected to a remote library (for the sake of settings, not the files in the library)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Move Zone tools (ZoneSwitch) to Options like was done with TV tools. I go to Options first almost every time I want to make a ZoneSwitch change and then remember, "Oh yeah, ZoneSwitch is somewhere under Player." You get the benefit of being able to search in Options, too.

Next build of MC21:
NEW: Added the command 'ZoneSwitch...' to the Audio options page.

This turned out to be a little more complicated that I expected because the ZoneSwitch dialog didn't take a zone but instead always worked on the current zone.  But it should all be sorted in the coming build of MC21.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team

Done.

This was in the last thread & agreed to be a good idea, but it never made it:

Make imported HTM / HTML files open in a new internal browser tab when double-clicked in the library. (Same tab would be OK-ish, but I think confusing)

You've already got the browser there internally, and it's very irritating for another app to pop up :)

(IIRC, you can work around this using the links feature, but that's not ideal either)

-Leezer-

The ability to add more Parametric EQ sections to DSP Studio.

There are a number of changes I'd like to see made to Parametric EQ, but being able to add more to the DSP list would be a quick fix for some of them, as it would let me toggle "groups" of EQ on/off with one click.

rec head

Add a field similar to DSP that could be checked to allow bitstreaming of selected tracks. I plan on going Atmos/DTS:X next year and it would be nice not to have to go into settings and switch bitstreaming on/off every time.

I have no idea how simple or difficult that is.

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck

I think this belongs here. At first I had posted it at the feature request (I removed it from there)... Also, since I have mentioned it a few times before, this is the last time I am posting this anywhere :)

- When I applying a preset to a playlist group, it doesn't take effect for all the children playlist groups and playlists, but only to some. Also, could we have a dialog open asking if we want to apply to all children folders and playlists or not?

Thanks for considering and have a nice day!

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

the following 4 seem like reasonable requests that build upon whats already built... and could really make for a more enjoyable experience.
To a novice like myself they seem like they maybe "too easy" as well.

1. Please consider refreshing libraries from clients AUTOMATICALLY on a daily or at the minimum weekly basis for those of us who have authentication/sync changes to server disabled... as discussed here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95099.new;topicseen#new

2. please add an option to right click highlight all files in conversion tab once conversion is complete, so we can goto recently imported see the new files that are imported, Verify they are to our liking, and then be able to jump back to finished conversions and delete those original files (.TS files) for those of us with large libraries/multiple disks/folder structures it's quite tough to do mass video conversion, and then having to manually search for the originals to delete them.

* just an fyi... when converting many of my home videos which have all been tagged, they are coming into recently imported as Media Type - TV show. even though before conversion they were ALL labeled as Home Movies.

3. Please add a recently imported time stamp to all files upon initial import... really is a pita when a drive goes down, and then we restore that drive to a new drive and when we re-import that new drive all those files do not go back into the library to the initial imported date...they show up as new files, and one looses all truly recently imported lists/views.

4. please give us the ability to change (load) libraries from theaterview http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98432.new;topicseen#new

Thank You

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...

Here's two from me;

1) Customization for the Ignore articles feature found in the Options > Tree & View > Sorting. Let's say I want to apply ignore articles to just the artist or album artist field(s), but leave the album field with articles enabled.

2) Currently double clicking on the Display album art at the bottom of the sidebar above Action Window opens the album art in Display View. Can an option be added to instead open album art in the Detach Display view?
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

tdipower

• Recent member

The "keyword" area in the tag.. when I try to fill it out, the box to type in goes behind the startmenu if the program is in fullscreen. Could you make it "fit" better? Other fields don't behave this way as far as I found. Can post a screenshot, if you don't know what I mean.  :)

Note. I see it's ok with a few keywords, but with 15-20 it just grows out of scale

kstuart

Yes, it is still needed because I often use the Windows Explorer Context Menu "play" option, so "send" does not apply.

kstuart

Which reminds me of another Too Easy request:

In the "Shell Integration" (aka Windows Explorer Context Menu):

Please add "Play in MediaCenter" as a choice in the Context Menu itself (as opposed to the sub-menu under Media Center).

All other Media Players have "Play in(with) [player name]" in the context menu as well as a second entry for other purposes.

Having to navigate to the sub-menu and find "Play" only takes a few more seconds, but over the years, I've done this hundreds of times and it adds up.

If I had to choose, I would prefer this change over the similar change with ZoneSwitch (since I use it much more).

Done.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

In the import dialog box, 'Please select the folder to search:' does not include UNC paths just local drives.  It would save a ton of time when I import to have my recently UNC paths cached here.

It would also be nice to be able to import multiple folders at once.

CountryBumkin

How about a new wallpaper (background) for Theater View?

MC21 is a new program - it should look different.
Of course no one will agree on what the wallpaper should be, so just have Jim pick it. I need a change!  ;D

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Please keep the "details" link in the handheld sync action window even after the handheld has synced (right now it is replaced by eject). It's a better way to get to the handheld sync page where a "Recheck Sync" can be run or the sync options edited after a successful sync (such as when new playlist items are added to a synced playlist during a sync).

kstich

• Recent member

1. Easy way to remove duplicate songs from library. Ideally, a right click --> Library Tools item to do this.

2. When playing content, the selecting theater view go right to a "playing now" view.

astromo

• MC Beta Team

Missed this initially.

See here for a stunningly, fantabulous idea that you slick dev types should be able to knock over in the blink of an eye:
2EZ REQ II - URL Address Bar
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Castius

Add red dot to tray icon when recording. I'd also like to add it somewhere in the standard UI. But not sure where is best.

Castius

I'd like to have a TV show favorites. Right now you can only do channels.

rael71

• World Citizen

1) I'd like to select songs in file windows just holding left click and dragging as in most softwares. Now you can only select files with mouse and ctrl or shift or select all qith ctrl+a
2) Customizable thumbnail text also for theater view as in standard view (I don't know if it's simple...)

Bye

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

jmhsb

• Recent member

In Rename Move & Copy, when "Move all files in folder" is checked, please show those additional files in the preview window. 

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2015, 09:57:21 am »

Ability to select MC or a predefined external program to play a given file type (e.g. mk3d) when it is selected for playback.

Similar to what "playback method"  external program (custom) setting does now but gives you a choice to use the JRiver video engine instead on play back. Dialog box could be similar to the resume / start from beginning one.

Useful for 3D iso's or mkv's as it allows you to decide at point of selection whether playback is 2D in MC or 3D in external player.

Could we get an option to disable search history? ("recent searches")

1) I'd like to select songs in file windows just holding left click and dragging as in most softwares. Now you can only select files with mouse and ctrl or shift or select all qith ctrl+a
Search for "lasso" in the options window and enable "Allow list lasso with left mouse button"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up