INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 366802 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:22 am »

Cool!

Thanks Jim!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:00 am »

You're welcome.  If we can do it without making our build process much more complicated, we might offer two Id's:

30GB msata for about $250 (no local storage)

240GB SSD for about $350 (room for about 700 CD's of lossless files)

It would be interesting to know whether most people use the available storage.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2014, 11:33:35 am »

Personally, I would opt for the 30GB and add a regular (spinning) HDD with 2TB (85 euros over here).

It would be interesting to know whether most people use the available storage.

I think most people use a NAS or home server.

For audio, I like it local without having to have a server or NAS online 24/7.

TrevorW

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2014, 10:58:55 am »

Hi All - I sent this to Jim first of all - sorry.
Can anyone help with the following please

I am in receipt of the JRiver ID which I did get working for a while but only after some struggle with the GUI . .  I understand this is expected as it is an early release.

The setup is a Synology NAS box DS411 running DSM5 with the Media server installed to provide the DLNA server.
I’m using the ID as a renderer outputting by USB to a Benchmark USB DAC1.

In the early stages of setup I could not find the correct setup for the USB output format. I kept getting :

Playback Problem
Details
Playback could not be started on the “ALSA” using the format ’44.1Khz 2ch’
The output format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.
Also make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in the playback options.

I have been able to view my music library as established on the Synology DS411 (as a DNLA service) also at one point I was able to play music, the last change I made was to tick a box under FLAC options that said ‘decode through errors’ or similar. However, when I reversed this setting I could still listen to music (at good quality) My existing JRemote on an IPAD also connected to the ID and I could control music playback etc.

Later in the evening after much listening testing it all stopped working and when I went back to the GUI mode (I had rebooted in Text – Headless but left the HDMI monitor connected) the above error was back after trying to play through the GUI as I had before.  :'(

So the question really is how do I setup the Benchmark USB DAC1 to avoid the error and get the system working (and staying working) again. I found a JRiver article purporting to show how to convert the ID output for use with my DAC but it was very unspecific and the instructions did not related to the ID – I think it was from an article for the Windows MC.

One other annoyance – the ID doesn’t seam to scale its GUI to the screen size correctly so when I maximise a window I loose much of the window over the margin of the screen, including access to crucial control areas. When will the GUI be a little more ‘less flakey’ to use a term I have seen posted ;-)

Happy to be involved with the continued dev of this but I do need to be able to reliably play music whilst working on the other bits.

Hope you can help
Regards

Trevor McCarthy-White
Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White
Synology DS411 NAS server/JR ID24.0.17/MC26.0.107-5/Benchmark DAC1 USB/Rotel RC1590/RB1582Mk2/Bowers and Wilkins CM10S2/CM1S2/Ruark Dialogue/REL R205

TrevorW

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2014, 02:42:49 pm »

Hi All
With regard to the problem in my post above - Benchmark USB DAC having problems with playback and JR ID.
Has anyone got any feed back for this - I'm stuck at present with the ID 'Having problems with play back' I can't seem to get it to play at all.
IS there a diagnostic procedure I can follow. Its all gone a bit quiet out there since I bought this !!!

Thanks for any help / Info

REgards
Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White
Synology DS411 NAS server/JR ID24.0.17/MC26.0.107-5/Benchmark DAC1 USB/Rotel RC1590/RB1582Mk2/Bowers and Wilkins CM10S2/CM1S2/Ruark Dialogue/REL R205

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2014, 03:04:56 pm »

Hi All
With regard to the problem in my post above - Benchmark USB DAC having problems with playback and JR ID.
Has anyone got any feed back for this - I'm stuck at present with the ID 'Having problems with play back' I can't seem to get it to play at all.
IS there a diagnostic procedure I can follow. Its all gone a bit quiet out there since I bought this !!!

Thanks for any help / Info

REgards
What build is MediaCenter? (Help -> About Media Center)
Have you done the update function?
The GUI is undergoing work. It's better on the last build or so which should be out for the Id soon.
In the meantime, it's always pretty easy to move via clicking in the MC with the ALT key down and resize by right-clicking with the ALT key down.
Playing from the NAS as a DLNA server from the Id should work if the settings are correct for your DAC.
You could always test this functionality by using analog or hdmi output from the Id instead of DAC.

Rod69

« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2014, 10:03:09 pm »

Just a few very, very basic questions for JimH or anyone:  I was thinking in terms of setting up a Home Theater system with a NUC running JRiver, with Windows 8.1.  What would be the advantages of the ID, compared to this?  I understand it is only meant for audio, and actually I was assuming that, with the NUC/JRiver/Windows 8.1 setup, that I would be able to play both video and audio content.  I was under the impression that NUC/JRiver/Windows 8.1 is a common setup.  Why is it able to play both video and audio, but the ID is not?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2014, 01:47:30 am »

Video is coming to life on the Id.  It's still not perfect, but you can play video from MC on another machine to the Id when used as a renderer.

Win and MC on a NUC would be similar.  The major difference is setup and maintenance.  The Id is usually nearly plug and play.

TrevorW

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2014, 07:11:57 am »

Hi Bob

Thanks for coming back concerning prop with Id and NAS as DLNA.
I have done an update (also tried again last night but no further updates available)

I'll try to check this out with analogue, is this just a case of using the 3.5mm jack without further setup?

As I say it was all working fine then suddenly, nothing and this message.

Its very unclear what the DSD options are supposed to achieve -- I can save a DSD profile but no way to allocate this to the audio device. The audio device list just stays the same with all of those obscure setings, one of which did work at one time.

I'm not trying to do DSD only 2ch stereo at 14.1Kb/s the Benchmark will work up to 96Kb/s with 16/24bit. I see others have the Benchmark working would be good to have their settings an experience posted.

I'm away this weekend but can get back to this Monday/Tuesday

Regards
Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2014, 10:59:21 am »

Hi Bob

Thanks for coming back concerning prop with Id and NAS as DLNA.
I have done an update (also tried again last night but no further updates available)

I'll try to check this out with analogue, is this just a case of using the 3.5mm jack without further setup?

As I say it was all working fine then suddenly, nothing and this message.

Its very unclear what the DSD options are supposed to achieve -- I can save a DSD profile but no way to allocate this to the audio device. The audio device list just stays the same with all of those obscure setings, one of which did work at one time.

I'm not trying to do DSD only 2ch stereo at 14.1Kb/s the Benchmark will work up to 96Kb/s with 16/24bit. I see others have the Benchmark working would be good to have their settings an experience posted.

I'm away this weekend but can get back to this Monday/Tuesday

Regards

Check your output device in MC.
Tools->Options->Audio->Audio Device Pulldown

The 3.5mm analog output is
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0

The hdmi output is
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0

Your Benchmark DAC will have it's own description. Here is a typical one:

front:CARD=DRAGONFLY,DEV=0

When you have the right device and don't get the "Playback" error message if it appears to be working but not putting out any sound, you can click on the little speaker icon to the left of the volume control and change the mixer from system to internal (or the other way around) and play with the mute.

Let us know what you find...

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:05 pm »

I'm using the Id with JRemote and MC running on my headless Mac. When tracks are playing, ie. there is a "current playlist" that I can swipe from right on JRemote, and I now choose a different track to "Play Next" using the remote, most of the time the wrong track will play next. When the current track finishes playing, instead of playing the one selected with "Play next" I hear the originally-next track (as it would have been had I not chosen one to Play next), however JRemote shows the title, art and the metadata of the track I wanted to play (the one selected with Play next)—but it is not the one that is playing... If I click on the shown track in JRemote it will stop and start playing the correct track, but it won't do it automatically. What gives?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2014, 12:54:31 pm »

I'm using the Id with JRemote and MC running on my headless Mac. When tracks are playing, ie. there is a "current playlist" that I can swipe from right on JRemote, and I now choose a different track to "Play Next" using the remote, most of the time the wrong track will play next. When the current track finishes playing, instead of playing the one selected with "Play next" I hear the originally-next track (as it would have been had I not chosen one to Play next), however JRemote shows the title, art and the metadata of the track I wanted to play (the one selected with Play next)—but it is not the one that is playing... If I click on the shown track in JRemote it will stop and start playing the correct track, but it won't do it automatically. What gives?
The headless Mac contains the library that you are connecting to with JRemote I assume?
If so, would you bring up the MC on the Mac, find the Id zone, right-click on it and under DLNA controller options, do Disable SetNext support and try the test again?
Thanks.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2014, 01:47:51 pm »

The headless Mac contains the library that you are connecting to with JRemote I assume?

That is correct.

If so, would you bring up the MC on the Mac, find the Id zone, right-click on it and under DLNA controller options, do Disable SetNext support and try the test again?

Indeed, this fixes the problem, but it introduces a new one: gapless playback no longer works on the Id, and that was the main reason for buying it... Is there anything else I can test to help you troubleshoot it?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:20 pm »

Indeed, this fixes the problem, but it introduces a new one: gapless playback no longer works on the Id, and that was the main reason for buying it... Is there anything else I can test to help you troubleshoot it?
I knew it would disable gapless playback, I had a suspicion that what MC thinks the playlist is and what JRemote thinks it is aren't the same.
I'm not sure if the issue is in JRemote or MC. Will give it a look..

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2014, 02:42:16 pm »

Thanks, Bob. Are you also the developer of JRemote? Is there anyone else or any other place I should report this problem to?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2014, 03:40:38 pm »

Thanks, Bob. Are you also the developer of JRemote? Is there anyone else or any other place I should report this problem to?
No need, we've been discussing it and I think we have a handle on the solution, the details are in the implementation...

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2014, 04:01:45 pm »

Bob, while at it, I've another issue, perhaps they share a cause, but I think it may be more of a JRemote issue. When I select a track of a multi-disc album from any disk except the 1st disk, it always plays the track from the first disk that has the same track number, but not the track from the correct disk. On the other hand, if I am playing the last track of a disk, it will correctly continue the the 1st track on the next disk, even though I cannot select that track successfully.

If this is not the right place to report it, please say so. Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2014, 04:26:19 pm »

Bob, while at it, I've another issue, perhaps they share a cause, but I think it may be more of a JRemote issue. When I select a track of a multi-disc album from any disk except the 1st disk, it always plays the track from the first disk that has the same track number, but not the track from the correct disk. On the other hand, if I am playing the last track of a disk, it will correctly continue the the 1st track on the next disk, even though I cannot select that track successfully.

If this is not the right place to report it, please say so. Thanks.
How are they stored on the server? If it happens with the SetNext disabled then I'm thinking this is more likely to be a JRemote issue.
You could post in the Remotes forum.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »

I'm unsure how to answer your question as to how the tracks are stored on the server: they are files in a folder that is on a locally mounted (not networked) FireWire RAID array formatted as native Mac drive.

This issue happens both with and without SetNext set. It only happens with JRemote, and not when I click them in MC on the server. It happens with Id, and, as I've just checked, also with Sonos as DLNA renderer. I'll repost my question on the other forum.

EDIT: This is a known issue, and apparently fixed in the upcoming version of JRemote, see this mini-thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92836.0

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2014, 06:16:53 pm »

New version of MediaCenter (20.0.27) for the Id is up.
Use your Update function to get it.
The changes from the previous version 20.0.22 are:

1. Fixed: Filesystem character problems in Rename, Move and Copy files.
2. Changed: Added hinting to window creation to try to get the window manager to move and resize windows in larger increments.
3. Fixed: CPU usage, especially during the drawing of the Spectrum Analyzer during playback, bug introduced in 20.0.22

There are also a few other UI changes to try to increase the UI stability.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2014, 09:38:36 pm »

MC for Id won't update to 20.0.27. I see "update finished" notification but after restarting MC is still stuck on build 20.0.18. Any thoughts?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2014, 11:01:21 pm »

MC for Id won't update to 20.0.27. I see "update finished" notification but after restarting MC is still stuck on build 20.0.18. Any thoughts?
No, it should be fine. I just tried it offsite (on my home Id).
Check you bios clock and make sure the date looks ok..

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2014, 11:22:51 pm »

Just updated it again. The licensing was off in the previous version. The new one is 20.0.27-2 (will still show up as 20.0.27 in the Help menu).

If you updated before this message and you got a 30 day trial period popup box in MC, re-update and that will go away.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2014, 11:32:35 pm »

No, it should be fine. I just tried it offsite (on my home Id).
Check you bios clock and make sure the date looks ok..

Bios clock is OK. I just don't see 20.0.27 under Help>>About Media Center..... Regardless, Id works fine as a DLNA renderer which is what I strictly use it for.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2014, 11:49:19 pm »

Bios clock is OK. I just don't see 20.0.27 under Help>>About Media Center..... Regardless, Id works fine as a DLNA renderer which is what I strictly use it for.
Thanks.
I am concerned that you aren't getting the updates though.
Can you PM me with your public IP address so I can check the server logs?
If you don't know your public IP you can get it by going to:
https://jriver.jriver.com/cgi-bin/youraddr.cgi

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2014, 10:19:46 am »

I've just done the update using option 12. It seemed to download and install it, then it hung. I hard powered down and rebooted. It presented the text menu, and I have selected the update option again. It went into the update process, but this time when it rebooted, it stopped at a different point, presenting "CPU stuck" errors. I have tried powering off several times and rebooting, but it always gets stuck after the "Cleaning up temporary files /tmp" message, see photos of the screen (sorry for the quality, but this is from the projector). What do I do now?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2014, 10:39:26 am »

Let it run.  It could take an hour in some circumstances.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2014, 10:55:07 am »

I've just done the update using option 12. It seemed to download and install it, then it hung. I hard powered down and rebooted. It presented the text menu, and I have selected the update option again. It went into the update process, but this time when it rebooted, it stopped at a different point, presenting "CPU stuck" errors. I have tried powering off several times and rebooting, but it always gets stuck after the "Cleaning up temporary files /tmp" message, see photos of the screen (sorry for the quality, but this is from the projector). What do I do now?
It doesn't look like the update process completed.
First try removing the power for 30 seconds, plug it back in and restart. If the hardware has locked, that can bring it back.

If that doesn't work, restart the Id. When it gets to the boot screen quickly hit the spacebar to stop the boot process.
Then you should see a one line menu assuming you were in graphics mode when you first tried the update.
Hit e (to edit)
down arrow to the next to last line (starts with echo)
hit the back arrow key once (goes to the end of the previous line).  This is a bit hard to see because of the logo.
the end of that line says
ro quiet
enter a space then the following
nomodeset i915.modeset=0
so you end up with the end of that line looking like
ro quiet nomodeset i915.modeset=0
then do control-x to boot.

This forces the Id into text mode.
At this point you will hopefully get the text menu at which point you can do the update again.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2014, 12:21:59 pm »

Let it run.  It could take an hour in some circumstances.

I let it run, gave it a patient hour, and indeed, it is functional again.

It doesn't look like the update process completed.
First try removing the power for 30 seconds, plug it back in and restart. If the hardware has locked, that can bring it back.

I have only just seen Bob's detailed reply, but I am not sure if I need to follow it through: can I check what version it runs without using the GUI mode?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »

I let it run, gave it a patient hour, and indeed, it is functional again.

I have only just seen Bob's detailed reply, but I am not sure if I need to follow it through: can I check what version it runs without using the GUI mode?
Once it's running in text mode you should be able run the update again to make sure it finished then switch to gui mode to see the version.
In the next update we'll add version information to the text menu you could just wait until then.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2014, 01:00:41 pm »

Thanks, I'll wait. Many thanks Jim and Bob for helping out.

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2014, 03:30:57 pm »

I decided to try the update and after multiple try's I get at the top of the text menu (no mc in gui mode)
grep/home/.jriver/mediacenter20/usersettings.ini no such file or directory
no access key

therefore gizmo does not connect
I should have known better than to mess with it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2014, 11:51:33 pm »

I decided to try the update and after multiple try's I get at the top of the text menu (no mc in gui mode)
grep/home/.jriver/mediacenter20/usersettings.ini no such file or directory
no access key

therefore gizmo does not connect
I should have known better than to mess with it.

That would indicate that your "User Settings.ini" file has vanished.
I can't see how that would happen since the update doesn't touch that however you should be able to restore the stock settings with option 77.

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2014, 08:18:41 am »

77 gives same result

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2014, 08:50:06 am »

Try it again and wait an hour (if you haven't).

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2014, 09:03:56 am »

I have done that, and also updated a couple times and it shows complete, still no ini file

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:23 am »

I have done that, and also updated a couple times and it shows complete, still no ini file

Did you see a bunch of copy instructions flash by on the screen when you did 77?

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2014, 11:27:29 am »

The first time, but since it just says update complete and reboots

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2014, 12:17:11 pm »

I just purchased 2 Ids. one for a family room and another for my bedroom. I have looked for general setup instructions and probably have missed them but am hoping for a bit of instruction or direction.....

My set up is  2 dedicated media computers each running JRiver. One in my theater acts as the server pulling all audio/video from my Synology 1812+ NAS. The computer in my Living room acts as client to the one in the Theater.

What i want to achieve with the 2 IDs is to simply push audio & video to them....I'm guessing my using JRemote to connect to the "Theater" server and push to the selected Id device. What settings do i need to make to the MC on the IDs?

I did try to set the one Id up as a client to the MC server in my Theater (not even sure i should do this in this case) but it wouldn't complete it. Not sure why....the popup window that appears asking for the password "AFTER" entering the access key, doesn't fully display....I can hardly see the area where the password is to go. So not sure if it was successfully entered but another POpup window comes up....don't know what it says.....it does nothing. I eventually have to cancel & close out.

I know....sound confusing....tried to explain as best i could.

Any set up advise will be appreciated.

Thx

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2014, 12:49:50 pm »

The first time, but since it just says update complete and reboots
77 doesn't print update completed, it prints:
Restored stock MC parameters. Standby, Rebooting

Did you see that message and before it printed that did you see a bunch of copy commands scroll down the screen?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2014, 12:52:55 pm »

I just purchased 2 IDs. one for a family room and another for my bedroom. I have looked for general setup instructions and probably have missed them but am hoping for a bit of instruction or direction.....

My set up is  2 dedicated media computers each running JRiver. One in my theater acts as the server pulling all audio/video from my Synology 1812+ NAS. The computer in my Living room acts as client to the one in the Theater.

What i want to achieve with the 2 IDs is to simply push audio & video to them....I'm guessing my using JRemote to connect to the "Theater" server and push to the selected ID device. What settings do i need to make to the MC on the IDs?

I did try to set the one ID up as a client to the MC server in my Theater (not even sure i should do this in this case) but it wouldn't complete it. Not sure why....the popup window that appears asking for the password "AFTER" entering the access key, doesn't fully display....I can hardley see the area where the password is to go. So not sure if it was successfully entered but another POpup window comes up....don't know what it says.....it does nothing. I eventually have to cancel & close out.

I know....sound confusing....tried to explain as vest i could.

Any set up advise will be appreciated.

Thx

You don't need to setup the ID as a client to your Media Server PC.
Just choose the ID zone in JRemote when you connect to your Media Server PC.
The access key on the Id for JRemote is there if you are going to use the Id itself as a Media Server.

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2014, 01:19:11 pm »

77 doesn't print update completed, it prints:
Restored stock MC parameters. Standby, Rebooting

Did you see that message and before it printed that did you see a bunch of copy commands scroll down the screen?

My mistake

for 77 it says " restored stock mc parameters" then it scrolls through the text, every other line says failed....

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2014, 01:59:35 pm »

You don't need to setup the ID as a client to your Media Server PC.
Just choose the ID zone in JRemote when you connect to your Media Server PC.
The access key on the Id for JRemote is there if you are going to use the Id itself as a Media Server.

Ok.

How do I get it to go from text to seeing mc?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2014, 02:02:53 pm »

My mistake

for 77 it says " restored stock mc parameters" then it scrolls through the text, every other line says failed....
Ok, that's not good. It sounds like the drive is corrupted.
I'm going to PM you.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2014, 02:08:44 pm »

Ok.

How do I get it to go from text to seeing mc?
Do mean seeing the Media Center GUI on the Id?
If so just choose #1 from the text menu.
It will reboot into GUI mode.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2014, 02:27:23 pm »

Duh. Didn't realize that's what that was. Thank you.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2014, 02:35:20 pm »

Lastly.....must I make setting in the "Options" area of the ID as a client? Video, audio, etc.

Will TV work on the ID?

Thanks again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2014, 03:11:16 pm »

Lastly.....must I make setting in the "Options" area of the ID as a client? Video, audio, etc.

Will TV work on the ID?

Thanks again.
You shouldn't have to make any options changes if you are just using the Id as a renderer. (you PUSH material to it).
The ID won't do TV at this time.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »

Will TV work on the ID?

Thanks again.
Also, Video support is VERY new. Things like subtitles aren't supported yet.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2014, 03:23:18 pm »

OK. Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 26   Go Up